Chapter 26

Chapter 26

If there is a load

You have to bear that you can't carry

I'm right up the road

I'll share your load

If you just call me

--Lean On Me, Bill Withers

He didn't sleep a collective of, anything really, before the alarm of five o'clock did it's mighty best--failing wonderfully--in pissing him off. A heavy, yet lively hand smacked the noise off and dragged down as he slid out of bed to clean and dress his naked self. 

The sun rays had yet to dig their way into this half of the globe, a shy luminance from far away announcing it's prompt arrival. On the menu, waves of seven to eight feet for breakfast. In his mind, a crisp memory of a young male in heat to snack on until sundown. And that smile reflected on the mirror, the one that kept coming back...well, that must be the flavor of victory.

The touch continued to hover, like it was in the flesh. Present and here, even if the hands that he wanted weren't the ones that caressed him. His lips tugged upward in lone complicity. Small victory. Emphasis on “small.” He'd have to, he knew, stretch this revelry far and thin.

Must be a deity's idea of correction--his own personal prison cell--where he could see whom he once so easily got in his hands and foolishly cast away. The person he wanted to touch the most, held away just barely out of reach. Right there in front of his outstretched hand--his face strained against the thick metal bars--never allowed to feel more than a vague warmth on his fingertips. 

Served him right. 

Be grateful for what you get. And what he got was promising. "Hard work, mister. The road is steep." But a road it was, and thrilling at that.

He loaded the Hummer before the crack of daylight, like all previous Saturdays since the peak years of wet dreams, when Mitch bribed him onto the board by the motto that surfers get chicks already half-stripped. He chuckled. The stuff that kept him awake and in need to conquer the water tunnel all over again, was away from thin strings easily tugged loose, and on a face attached to a certain someone who consistently left him starved.

His eyes settled on the red traffic light, pondering alone in the empty intersection. Music pulsated in the background and he hummed, but his mind wasn't in it. He tapped thumbs on the steering wheel, following a rhythm he wasn't paying attention to, and looked to either side of the road--a fruitless wait for a good enough excuse to turn in the opposite direction.

A green arrow light on the lane to his left gave him the permission.

Fuck it.

He made the illegal u-turn, hoping whomever gave him the green light also made any troopers blind for a moment, while he turned away from the beach, pressing the cellphone to his ear.

He had to redial twice.

"What?!"

So cranky. Adam had to laugh. "Morning, sunshine."

"Adam," Kaiden breathed. "What the heck sunshine? Tsk. It's freaking five." The words dragged lazy on Kaiden's thickened voice. Made Adam bite down a groan.

"It's past five-thirty," he corrected. "I'm at the lobby."

Kaiden glowered. "No way. I said I wasn't going."