Chapter 23

Chapter 23

All of the things

That I want to say

Just aren't coming out right

I'm tripping on words

You got my head spinning

I don't know where to go from here

'Cause it's you and me

and all of the people

with nothing to do,

nothing to prove

And it's you and me and

all of the people

And I don't know why

I can't keep my eyes off of you

--You And Me, Lifehouse

__________________________________

Adam let himself surrender to the pleasures of the urinal. He didn't have to think it to close his eyes and just let it go. He didn't pay mind to the door when it opened behind him and in came a few seconds of music and the faint smell of tobacco. He kept to his business, until the low but audible "fuck" made him snap his head to the side to catch Kaiden's retreat.

"No no! Wait." He almost turned around with his friend from downstairs out of his pants, but tucked it in quickly. He didn't feel the cold water when he washed, but focused on the fact that Kaiden did stop mid-stride and waited, even though Adam didn't deserve it. "I'm finished. You don't have to go."

Kaiden faced him with that almost invisible frown that Adam remembered, and an equally invisible and lovely pout. Adam just wanted to suck it off his face...so bad. The young man took a cell phone from his pocket and Adam observed with interest as he tapped his thumb to the screen.

He didn't know if he was being openly ignored, practically from three feet away. Didn't feel like it. The swoosh announced it was a text message. Then the ding of a response. Kaiden licked his lips and looked up. "Let's do this."

There was something in that tone. "What? Wait. What was that about?"

"I messaged Eric."

"And that translates into us doing something?"

"No. But he's the boss."

"O-kay?"

"Doesn't matter. Your car?"

"S-Sure."

Adam had made a great deal of observation, but he barely knew Kaiden at all. He was so hard to read when he made a point of showing no emotion or sign of anything in Adam's presence. What this meant, though? Was this his opportunity? To try and show he wasn't a jerk as a norm?

He didn't miss the weight on Kaiden's shoulders. That there would be a distance, was understandable. Adam hadn't earned Kaiden's trust. But something was...off. He was supposed to be happy about this. The moment he had waited for what felt like an eternity was here and he'd take it.

Adam led the way after Kaiden gathered his belongings. They stepped out. The music was gone. His own cell phone beeped inside his pocket. "Dude, I didn't find the hangman emoticon. So *hangman*. You're so screwed."

Oh, fuck you.

So he was right. Kaiden hadn't discarded sending Adam to the plastic surgeon. Adam clenched at what that left fist could do with the right motivation. But this wasn't some random act of violence. This Adam worked hard for and earned with his skillful, cursed-a-million-times tongue.