Chapter 7: Diseased

-----------------------
Day 004 1:59am
-----------------------
I woke up to the sound of retching.

I had fallen asleep in my wolf form on the floor next to Distance's bed and my stomach had been twisting in worry. Now, I rose to my paws and looked at Distance.

He was vomiting up a revolting mixture of blood and the few contents of his stomach that remained.

I reverted to my human form, reaching out to lay a hand on his back.

He threw up again. Once he had finished, I asked,

"Want to move to the toilet?"

He nodded as he started gagging again.

I helped him to his feet, then guided him to the bathroom where he kneeled in front of the toilet and heaved until his body was trembling with exhaustion. I left him there so I could go get Shark, casting one last glance over my shoulder. He let out a shaky breath and rested his forehead on the seat.

I knocked on his mother's door before opening it a crack.

"Shark?"

I called in.

There was a deep inhale, then her groggy voice answered,

"Yeah?"

"Distance threw up in his bed. A lot. Got any medicine that'll ease that up?"

I explained.

Instead of answering, she immediately got up out of bed and made her way to the bathroom. I followed her, stopping at the doorway when Shark reached out to touch Distance's shoulders.

"You okay, kiddo?"

She murmured as she rubbed her eyes.

Distance was quiet for a few seconds, then he raised his head and nodded.

"I feel a lot better."

He replied in a ragged voice.

His mouth and nose were leaking blood, and the majority of the vomit in the toilet was actually blood. I let out an anxious breath.

"I'll clean your bed up. You can sleep on the couch if you want, but take a shower or bath first. You'll feel a lot better."

Shark gently explained to Distance.

He nodded.

Distance got up and rinsed out his mouth with water as Shark exited the room. Before leaving, she touched my shoulder and whispered,

"Stay with him. Just talk and make sure he doesn't faint again. Comfort him."

I nodded, prompting a smile from Shark. She closed the door behind her, leaving Distance and I alone in the bathroom. Distance stared at his reflection in the mirror, then laughed hoarsely.

"Damn, I look terrible."

"It'll pass. I know it will."