Chapter 2

Tracy and Astrid snuck into class as quietly as they could. When they reached their seats the teacher said something, letting them know that they're late Appearance had, in fact, been noticed.

"Cutting my class, Tracy and Astrid Turnblad. Detention!" She said sharply. Astrid stifled a whoop. She led Tracy down the hall, nearly skipping with glee. She burst through the doors, laughing.

"Astrid! Back again, I see!" A boy said as she and Tracy walked into the detention room.

"You know me, I can't keep my mouth shut." She replied with a grin.

"Hey, who's this?" Another asked.

"Guys, this is my little sister, Tracy." Tracy waved.

"I know where I've seen you before! On Corny's show on Negro Day." Tracy piped up. The guys nodded.

"Here's a little something to signify our welcome. Astrid, mind doin' a solo." One of the guys shouted. It was Seaweed J. Stubbs, Astrid's closest friend.

"Sure thing, Stubbs!" She yelled back. One of the girls cranked up the music and Astrid began to dance. She threw her shades to Seaweed and continued dancing.

Out in the hallway, Link Larkin and one of his friends walked by, on their way to class.

"I get who Caesar is, but what's the idea of March? How can a month have an idea?" Link asked his friend as they walked down the empty hallway. The heard music and shouts coming from the detention room and looked in. They immediately saw a girl with long brown hair dancing her hardest with a bunch of people whooping and dancing around her. They opened the door and immediately heard the girl say:

"I'm a bad, bad girl who needs to be punished!" She joked as she danced around. She turned around and was surprised to see that two boys were standing behind her.

"Seaweed, my shades!" She said quickly. Said boy threw the girl her shades. Link immediately recognized her as the girl who had auditioned just the morning.

"You know, Corny's throwin' this hop tomorrow." Link started. "I think if he saw you dancing like that he'd have to put on the show." Just then, the bell rang. "See ya." He finished, winking at her. Tracy ran up to her.

"Oh My GOD! You just got asked to a dance by Link Larkin!" She screeched. Astrid chuckled.

"No, I didn't. He just informed me of a dance tomorrow and told me that Corny Collins would have to put me on the show when he saw my dancing." Astrid stated. Tracy rolled her eyes.

"So? You're still going."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I can't believe I'm actually doing this." Astrid groaned. Tracy and Penny dragged her into the dance room. They immediately heard Link singing. Tracy pushed her out onto the dance floor. She started dancing to the song. She locked eyes with Link, who smiled and continued singing. The people around her backed away in awe of her dancing. Link slid sideways on the stage and extended his arm, beckoning Astrid forward. She danced toward him then just danced in place. Tracy and Penny cheered for her. After the song Link came off the stage and went up to Astrid.

"Hey, little darlin'. Those were some great moves out there." He said.

"Thanks." She replied. "Think Corny saw?"

"Oh, he definitely did." Link replied. "I'll see tomorrow."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Mom! Mom! Come here! Come here, quick!" Tracy and Penny shouted. Mrs. Turnblad came rushing in.

"Are you two watching that nonsense again? Turn it off!" She said sharply.

"No, Mrs. Tumbland, look!" Penny yelled.

"Roll call!" Corny sang.

"I'm Amber."

"Brad."

"Tammie."

"Fender."

"Brenda."

"Sketch!"

"Shelly!"

"I.Q."

"Lou Ann."

"Joey!"

"Mikey!"

"Vicki!"

"Becky."

"Vix!"

"Jessie!"

"Darla!"

"Paulie!"

"Noreen!"

"Doreen!"

"Link."

"And I'm Astrid!" Mrs. Tumbland screamed as she saw her adopted daughter dance along with the rest of the cast of the Corny Collins Show.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited on 4/16/18