Chapter 4

"I'm back!" Astrid shouted. Seaweed laughed from the other side of the room.

"Let me guess, couldn't keep your mouth shut?" A girl asked, snickering.

"Nope. Amber." She chirped, popping the 'p'. "Oh! Everyone, this is Link! Say hi, Link!" She was a perfect imitation of a news reporter.

"Uh, hi." He said, still unsure as to whether or not this was a good idea. Astrid laughed and gave him a reassuring pat on the shoulder.

"Calm down, cracker boy. It's cool. Hey, Astrid, we're heading to my mom's house for a celebration. Wanna join?" Seaweed asked. Astrid nodded. Seaweed gave her a knowing look.

"You want us to put on a show, don't you?" Seaweed questioned. Astrid laughed, and nodded again.

"Hey!

I can't see

Why people look at me,

And only see the color of my face!

Oh, yeah!

And then there's those,

Who try to help, God knows,

But always have to put me in my place.

But I won't ask you to be color blind,
'Cause if you pick the fruit
Then girl, you're sure to find...

The blacker the berry
The sweeter the juice
I could say it ain't so
But darlin', what's the use?

The darker the chocolate
The richer the taste
And that's where it's at...
... now baby run and tell that!!" Seaweed sang. Astrid began to dance along, too, as they all ran and danced into the hall. Link was still a bit hesitant, but Astrid grabbed his wrist and basically dragged him out into the hall with the others.

"I can't see
Why people disagree
Each time I tell them what I know is true

And if you come
And see the world I'm from
I bet your heart is gonna feel it too

Yeah, I could lie
But baby, let's be bold
Vanilla be nice
But if the truth be told

The blacker the berry
The sweeter the juice
I could say it ain't so
But darlin', what's the use

The darker the chocolate
The richer the taste
And that's where it's at

Now run and tell that
Run and tell that!" Seaweed continued to sing as he led the group outside to head to the bus.

"Link! Link Larkin!" Link heard Amber yell as he joined the others on his side of the gate. He ignored her and continued to watch the fascinating girl dance along with her friends. Seaweed pulled up a young girl, who introduced herself as Inez Stubbs, Seaweed's sister.

"Hey, you're Astrid Turnblad! You're my favorite dancer on the Corny Collins Show!" She said excitedly.

"Yeah, I saw you at the auditions!" Astrid replied, familiar with the young girl.

"Well, you're the only one who did, 'cause they kicked me out on my young, gifted, and black behind." Inez muttered. Astrid patted her shoulder in sympathy.

"Tell me about it." Astrid said, glancing at Link, who looked like he was a having a good time. Inez grinned.

"I'm tired of coverin' up all my pride!" She called.

"So give me five on the black-hand side!" Astrid and Seaweed sing-songed in return.

"I've got a new way of movin'
And I got my own voice!"

"So how can I help
But to shout and rejoice?

"The people 'round here
Can barely pay their rent
They're tryin' to make dollar out 'a fifteen cent
But we got a spirit money just can't buy

It's deep as a river
It soars to the sky!"

"I can't see
The reason it can't be
The kinda world where we all get our chance

The time is now
And we can show them how
To turn the music up and let's all dance

'Cause all things are equal
When it comes to love
Well, that ain't quite true
'Cause when a push comes to shove

The blacker the berry
The sweeter the juice
I could say it ain't so

But darlin', what's the use
The darker the chocolate
The richer the taste
That's where it's at

Now run and tell that
Run and tell that
Run and tell that!" They sang together as they climbed on they bus and came to a stop at Seaweed's mom's place. They walked inside to see others dancing shamelessly. Link's face turned slightly red and Astrid cringed.

"Shit, it's Wednesday. I forgot about this." Astrid said quietly. Link gave her a look that said, 'No, really?!' Astrid saw this and rolled her eyes.

"You're welcome to leave if you'd like."  She offered, but Link only shook his head. He didn't want to leave, as uncomfortable as the situation was. Maybelle walked toward them.

"Well, looks like y'all took a step out of bounds. Now who we got here?" She announced.

"Mama, you already know Astrid. This is Link." Seaweed introduced. Maybelle nodded and then walked off to scold another girl who was messing with a record.

"Care to dance?" Link asked, offering his hand to Astrid. She blinked and looked taken aback for a moment, then grinned.

"Sure!" They danced and they danced, swaying around to the music, until the sound of a door opening caught her attention.

"Astrid Turnblad!" screeched the voice of Edna Turnblad.

"Oh, I'm really in some deep shit now." Astrid mumbled under her breath. Link looked at her.

"Why, and who is that?" He asked.

"That's my mom." She answered. Link gave her a look of understanding before backing away slightly. The girl raised an eyebrow. The boy shrugged.

"Sorry. You, little darlin', are on your own." He murmured, and she replied by mouthing,

"Traitor." Link held back a laugh.

"I got a call from someone saying that you were here of all places. We need to get out before your reputation is ruined!" Edna whispered in urgency. Astrid rolled her eyes.

"Ma, I've never cared about my reputation, and I never will. Food?" She offered. Link was nearly choking on his laughter. Astrid shot him a playful glare as her mom sat down with a plate of food.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Velma Von Tussle informed me that there will be no more Negro Day." Maybelle announced. Astrid's expression turned to one of outrage.

"You know what we'll do, then? We're going to protest! Von Tussle will get what she deserves!" Astrid replied confidently. The others got fired up, and Maybelle began to make plans. Astrid turned to Link.

"Are you joining, or you gonna hang back?" She asked, not really caring what his answer was, but hoping he would make the right choice.

"I can't. Velma offered me a chance to sing at the pageant, and she invited agents. I can't, not with my career on the line." He answered, truthfully wishing that could join them. Astrid nodded.

"I understand. Go get 'em, tiger." She said, before walking off.

EDITED 5-3-18