Chapter 6

Link stepped into Astrid's room, finally getting to see where the girl felt most at home. In his head, he mourned the fact that he would never really get to see her again. Even if she wasn't caught by the police, she would definitely not come back to the show. Leaning on the doorway, he began to sing quietly.

"Once I was a selfish fool,

Who never understood

Never looked inside myself 

Though on the outside, I looked good

Then we met and you made me

The man I am today

Astrid, I'm in love with you

No matter what you weigh

'Cause without love

Life is like the seasons with no summer

Without love

Life is rock 'n' roll without a drummer

Astrid, I'll be yours forever

'Cause I never wanna be without love

Astrid, never set me free, no, I ain't lying

Never set me free, Astrid, no, no, no..." He walked through the room, examining the many pictures and posters she had of her family. Picking up one of her and her sister, he sat on the bed, staring at it with a love that one cannot describe with words.

A few blocks away, Seaweed Stubbs climbed through the window and into Penny's room, where she was tied up. Her mother had discovered that Penny was helping Astrid and took drastic measures to keep her daughter in line.

"Seaweed?!" Penny exclaimed, a grin growing on her face. "What are you doing here?" Seaweed pulled out a knife and began to cut at the ropes holding Penny.

"Living in the ghetto,

Black is everywhere ya go.

Who'd have thought I'd love a girl

Whose skin was white as winter snow?" Penny smiled, lovestruck, and continued the tune.

"In my ivory tower

Life was just a Hostess snack

But now I've tasted chocolate

And I'm never going back!" Finally free of her bonds, Penny and Seaweed escaped from the house, singing all the way down.

"'Cause without love

Life is like a beat that you can't follow

Without love

Life is Doris Day at The Apollo

Darling, I'll be yours forever,

'Cause I never wanna be without love,

So darling, never set me free,

No, I'm yours forever,

Never set me free, no, no, no!" Penny grabbed the key and tossed it into the bunker that Astrid was trapped inside. Unlocking the door, the girl sprinted outside and hopped into the trunk without a word.

At the Turnblad home, the love-ridden boy moved to lie on the bed, hugging the photograph to his chest.

"If I'm left without my baby doll,

I don't know what I'll do!"

Close by, and curled up in the trunk, Astrid heard sirens and sung quietly to herself.

"Link, I've got to break out,

So that I can get my hands on you!"

In the car, Penny hid underneath a blanket as the cops walked up a door. Under his breath, Seaweed sang to her.

"And girl, if I can't touch you,

Then I'm gonna lose control..."

Penny smiled, sitting up as the officers left.

"Seaweed, you're my black white knight,

I've found my blue-eyed soul!"

Sweet freedom is our goal!

~

Standing and placing the frame back on the nightstand, Link sang on, unaware of the fangirling teen in the kitchen who could very clearly hear him in the kitchen.

"Astrid, I wanna kiss you!"

~

Kicking the back of the car, Astrid shouted to her friends, who still have not moved since the encounter with the police officers.

"LET ME OUT AT THE NEXT TOLL!" She bellowed, wanting to get out of the cramped trunk. Singing on, the group drove all the way to Motormouth's cafe and bolted inside before they were spotted, dancing and singing their little hearts out.

"Without love

Life is like a prom that won't invite us

Without love

It's like getting my big break and laryngitis

Without love

Life's a '45 when you can't buy it

Without love

Life is like my mother on a diet

Like a week that's only Mondays

Only ice cream, never sundaes

Like a circle with no center

Like a door marked 'Do Not Enter'

Darling, I'll be yours forever

'Cause I never wanna be without love

Yes, now you've captured me

Without love, I surrender happily

Without love, oh Seaweed

Never set me free , no, no, no, I ain't lying

Never set me free, no, no, no

No, I don't wanna live without love, love, love!

Darling, you had best believe me

Never leave me without love!" As they began to finally quiet down, Motormouth Mabel chose that moment to enter, having been woken up by the singing.

"Astrid! Good to see you're alright. And who's this, Seaweed?" Mabel asked, throwing a knowing glance to her daughter, who had just entered as well.

"Uh, mom, this is Penny-" Seaweed started, gesturing to the girl.

"Seaweed's got a girlfriend, Seaweed's got a girlfriend!" Inez chanted, darting away from her brother as he tried to hit her upside the head. Shaking her head at the sibling's behavior, Astrid morphed her face into a more somber expression.

"Motormouth, we need your help getting into the Miss Teenage Hairspray pageant."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I AM SO SO SO SO SORRY THAT I HAVEN'T UPDATED IN FOREVER! I have no excuses to offer you besides the fact that I'm just not interested in writing this story anymore. I want to thank everyone for showing their continued support.

~Cypher

EDITED 7-5-18