Chapter 20

Over the next five days, the packs had begun to grow close. It was as if we were all one pack. The others looked to Dimitri and I as leaders, however I wasn't willing to accept that role. I was the alpha female of the Cadience Pack, not all four. Tarence had agreed.

None of us dared to shift into our human forms. There were still hunters in this area, some of them poachers. It was the middle of April and turkey season was in full swing.

The Blood Moon grew ever stronger, the nights getting longer. The night glowed with red tints. The moon would be full faster than we can blink.

Ignasio and the other battle wolves had come a long way. Wolves who had never fought in their life were now some of our greatest fighters. Battle hardened veterans included the newbies as their own by allowing them to eat with the finest warriors.

As for Dimitri, he never spoke. On nights, I can hear him whimpering in his sleep. I've tried to wake him but it's no use.

Scouts were set on all posts possible for a surprise attack. Theo and Hex haven't been spotted and there's no signs of any of the hounds.

Some of the wolves were growing restless, itching for any type of action.

Thoughts swirled in my mind. I remember my mother used to launch mock surprise attacks. I perked my ears. That's it!

My body lurched forward, searching for any wolves who were doing nothing. In all, I had gathered wolves from all packs. About fifteen of us. It was a small group, yes, but it would still be something.

I took the wolves on a 'hunting patrol'. We sped out in different directions. The plan was to attack at all angles.

The leaders of their groups were assigned. Harmony, Kade, and myself. Five wolves in each group.

Kade's group would attack first, then Harmony, then myself. In my group I had Xavior, Nia, Deven, and Gage.

We would attack near Tarence, one of the scouts at this time. I knew this would prove if we were ready for a surprise attack.

Silence. No wind, no birds, no nothing. Any slight sound would give our position away. Kade would have to attack soon.

All at once, the bushes exploded. Kade's group came ripping through the pine trees. Dimitri began sending wolves away while others rushed to defend, not knowing if we were friends or foe. Our scent was hidden from the mud I had ordered us to roll in to keep our scents hidden from the hounds. It was a perfect attack.

Harmony's group slunk in, using stealth to their advantage. All wolves were focused on the first wave. The five wolves spread out, lunging on unexpected wolves. Even though we were outnumbered, it was still a surprise attack in the least.

As I was about to give our signal, something was off. Deven blocked my way.

"Wait." He whispered.

We froze. Nia slowly turned her head. Behind her, a group of hell hounds stood there. Their fangs bared, all backing up their leader, Lucifer.

Lucifer smiled evilly. "Boo." He snarled.

I lowered my head. "Lucifer. Nice to see you. Healing well?"

Lucifer snarled and lunged forward, slamming himself into me.

The other hounds attacked the rest of our group.

I knew by then that the hounds didn't know that the rest of the packs were only yards away.

I shook Lucifer and sprinted away, leading my group and the rest of the hounds away from the pack. I can't risk any injuries from them at the bridge of their power. We need full strength.