Chapter 1

I kept my head low, something was wrong. I wasn't alone, and I knew this. I growled softly. "Who's there?"

Nothing. Only the soft wind that blew through the trees could be heard. I growled once more and took a step foreword. The wind was blowing behind me, carrying my scent toward the unknown presence.

My nose twitched. With my scent being blown toward the intruders way, I had no way of telling who, or what it was.

I heard soft chuckling. My ears perked slightly. A large, healthy and fit female stepped foreword. She was obviously an alpha. She snarled. "Go home, pup." Around her, wolves filed in one by one. Two were at her side, one obviously the beta.

The Trudance pack had invaded our territory. I stood my ground. "Get the hell out of my territory."

The female laughed. "Your territory? I didn't think Tyree would let a pup rule."

"I am Alima, daughter of Tyree and Sabine." I turned tail and ran. I stood no chance against her pack. She had five wolves with her.

Her howl was distant as I made my retreat. She was calling more wolves. It wasn't long before I could almost feel the hot breath of my pursuers.

My paws skidded against the snow as I made a sharp, right turn. My pursuers were sent skidding, crashing into each other on scrambling legs.

My lungs were on fire. One thing my pack has an advantage of is a rare occurrence, we can climb.

I scrambled up a nearby oak tree and laid low. My body sunk down on the branch, my white coat not making it easy for me.

I heard the wolves crashing through the snow. The stopped beneath the tree, catching their breath.

"Where is she?" The beta male snapped. "You idiots couldn't have lost scent of her already!"

"It isn't our order to kill her." A female snapped. "Come on, we need to keep moving. She's probably already warned her pack by now."

The beta nodded in agreement and they made their retreat.

I waited a few moments in my tree, not yet catching my full breath. I remembered my brother was leading a patrol. Hope filled my mind.

'Chance?' I asked.

'Alima?'

Never had I been so happy to hear his voice in my mind.

'Get Dad!' I leaped from my tree and began running to intercept the intruders. 'The Trudance pack is invading. Who's with you?' I demanded.

'Deven, Nia, Ignasio, Nico, Clem, and Zara. Zara went for aid. Where are you?'

'Forget it, they're moving your way. I'll meet you soon.' I jumped a stream and began to go on the stalk.

With everything going on, I couldn't be too bold. Scout's may be lying anywhere. I crouched down and took in my surroundings, looking for any entrances for the intruders, or any escapes for me. The birds had stopped singing. The wind whipped around my fur, the only sound that could be heard was my shallow breathing.

I heard paw steps behind me. I whipped my head around and bared my teeth. There was nothing. I shook my head. 'I need to calm down.' I thought to myself. I rose to my paws and begin running again.

I scampered over a log and pushed off with my hind legs. I landed peacefully and began running one more.

I hadn't seen the wolf heading my way. He crashed into me, sending us both rolling. Instinct took over and I knew he couldn't pin me.

I growled and lashed out with my hind legs, throwing him off me.

I leaped on him, leaving him pined. His nose touched mine, my fangs were bared. I growled softly. Realization set in that the wolf was no threat.

"Look Alima, I love you and all, but we really need to stop meeting head on like this." Chance shoved me off him and I backed up, looking back at my fellow pack mates.

"Sorry. Is everyone fit to fight?" I asked.

"Yes, they're tired but they can fight. Zara is fetching Dad and Jade."

Deven stepped foreword. "What's the plan, Alima?"

"Hey!" Chance said. "I'm the one leading here!"

"Well," Deven said, "what's your idea then."

Chance mumbled under his breath.

"Exactly." Deven spoke. "Now, Alima?"

"They're already deep into our territory." I sighed. "We launch a counter attack at the edge of the river. Hopefully we have enough."

Ignasio scoffed. "We have more wolves." He ducked down, ready to sprint. "We can take them."

I nodded swiftly. "Right, move!"

The party took off in full sprint, desperate to defend our rightful territory. The river was miles off. The enemy had gained a lot of ground. I knew we'd have to surround them, but that could wait. For now, we needed to stick together.

We made our way swiftly through the mid morning light, ghosts in the trees. Clem was beginning to breathe heavily. Ignasio nuzzled her, slowing his pace to match hers to stay by her side.

"Come on." Ignasio said. "It's just a bit further." He kept encouraging her the whole way.

As we were breaking strike zone, I called them to a hault. "Split." I spoke. "Clem and Nico, take the back and run them towards us. Chance and Deven hit their side. Myself, Nia, and Ignasio will meet them head on. This should cause enough time before Dad and Jade get here."

My pack mates nodded and split. Ignasio, Nia, and I headed upstream, ready to meet the Trudance pack head on.

We heard howls. Nico and Clem were in pursuit.

Ignasio huffed. "Push it you two! We'll miss our target!"

Nia pushed her pace and over took Ignasio and I. I ran at her side, gaining momentum as we headed down the slope that lead to the gravel side of the river.

Deven and Chance had begun to attack the side. We burst through the bushes.

Ignasio clashed into a female, sending her tumbling against the sharp rocks. I attacked the closest wolf next to me, a young male. He whipped around and yipped.

I bit his forearm and grounded him. He rolled as he tripped over his own feet.

He shook his head, clearing himself of the spinning world around him. He looked back at me, my hackles raised in defense.

He ran away, tail between his legs. I turned to find my next target, but my next target found me.

I never seen the black monster closing in on me until I was sent rolling.