Purpose.

In a couple of minutes, Ezra had navigated herself to a point where noise was coming from. Turning the corner, she could see people walking past, and in front of them a barrier and someone in blue. A police officer, she seemed to remember. They had authority. This one should be able to help. Ezra cleared her throat and walked towards the officer.

The officer turned around. "You're not supposed to be this side of the barrier. Who let you across?" said the male officer.

"Nobody," Ezra said, "I didn't go across."

The officer looked puzzled for a moment, then his face cleared. "Are you lost? Do you want to go back to the right side?" he asked.

Ezra shook her head. "I'm not lost. I'm trying to find my purpose. Could you help?"

The officer sighed. "Look, I wouldn't bother if I were you. If you're not religious or don't have a plan of what you want to do in life, there isn't much point. Science is trying to help the people live longer because it can't find any purpose or proof of afterlife. As of now, there is no purpose for anyone unless they want to help create a better and more cohesive society. That's the only help I can offer."

Ezra nodded. "Thank you." she said quietly, then let herself through the barrier. She allowed the movement of the crowd to push her with them, her mind too preoccupied to care. If the officer was correct, and nobody had a purpose unless it was to make life better for the living, then there was no point in anything. Common sense niggled at the back of her head, reminding her that there was her love for trains, but there was not much she could do with love. It would not sustain her. It could not give her a purpose. Only she could do that. But Ezra saw no point in giving herself a purpose - it made no sense. There would be no reward for completing it, no reason to strive towards it. She could make herself and others happy, but after she was gone, it would make no difference to anything. If she went right now, would that make a difference? Perhaps a small one, but not anything important. But then Ezra realised: she still had something to do. She had yet to meet the person at the place. That would be her purpose, if only temporarily.