Discoverance.

Skin peeled back to reveal gleaming ovoids, keen to discover. The ovoids hungrily focused on dark shadows in low metal ceilings, the grainy texture of the wood planks, the white light glinting off the metal hooks. Then the curious ovoids noticed what else the light revealed: small specks drifting lazily through the air in quiet swarms. Dust motes. The re-discovery of the small wonder brought joy, and a tugging sensation to skin near the ovoids. The bliss was then replaced by curiosity of the light - how did it work? What could it do? And then, with sudden remembrance of self, came the curiosity of the mono-syllabic identifier -'I'. This 'I' that seemed so distant in new light began to remember body and bored muscle. In a spasm of slow effort, the body sat up and stood. Lungs breathed deep dregs of still air and the ovoids surveyed the resting place of the body. It was wooden with metal hooks and a small open metal lattice beneath the slats. It seemed to be part of what was possibly known as a communal cloakroom.

There was something else there. It was cold and it seemed to have an underlying tone of silver. Cautiously, the body drifted over towards it, bubbling with delight and yet also in horror. It was confusing - it seemed to copy, but everything was laterally inverted. This was not correct. The copier had a dubious air about it, but the ovoids could not seem to tear themselves away until it could understand the virtual reality trapped inside it. The body came closer for hopes of better knowledge. And then the ovoids met her. She saw and recognised; androgynous female, light brown skin, eyes a brown the colour of wine. What is wine?

Ezra, she remembered. My name is Ezra. But what am I?

A mass of atoms and cells arranged in tissue, muscle, and organs in the shape of a human seemed to be accurate enough, although it did not have the satisfaction of purpose or plan of action attached. There Ezra realised: for all her curiosity she had substantially few answers. She did not seem to be new, yet it almost felt as such. If she could not find herself a plan of action, Ezra decided, it would be up to her to create one.