Chapter 31

^Haunting reciting of "The Spider" Surah Al-Ankabut by Mishary Rashid Al-Afasy. I'm getting goosebumps just listening to it!

Hope you enjoy this medium sized chapter of CTBB! Don't forget to VOTE and Comment if you have something to say! I love reading your comments ❤

________________

Mariam's POV

"Okay, repeat after me. Sa."

"Sa."

"Lam."

"Lam."

"Sa-lam."

"Slam."

I sighed. "No, not slam, you have to add the 'sa' before the lam."

"Lamb? Why are there baby sheep involved?" Damian asked, brows furrowed in bemusement, though from the twinkle in his eye I knew he was only joking.

"Damian, come on, be serious for a moment," It was like working with a child. An insolent child trapped in an eighteen year old's body.

"I am serious," Damian insisted, completely contradicting his words by grinning at me.

I turned to Denise, who was busy doing her work, like we were supposed to, but Damian insisted on me teaching him how to say the Islamic greeting that we used. Denise had finished half the revision questions while I was still on the fifth one. We had thirty to do in total, and because Damian decided to sit at our table, I wasn't getting much work done.

"If I were you, I'd do work," Denise whispered.

"Good thing you're not me, since you don't have to deal with this guy," I whispered back, jutting my thumb to my left, where Damian sat, twiddling his pen between his fingers and tapping it on his blank book. I fixed my attention back to him for the last time. He was smirking.

"Don't act like you're not enjoying my company, Mariam," he smirked. "Anyway, what was it again? Slam?" He was pissing me off on purpose.

"It can't be that hard to just say, 'Salam' can it?" I gritted my teeth.

Damian shook his head amusingly. "No, but I like making it hard." Beside me, Denise groaned, muttering, "Oh brother."

"Is physics not hard enough for you, Mr Brewer?" Mr Newton swung by on his rounds around the classroom, making sure everyone was on top of their revision for our upcoming test. I had a feeling Mr Newton enjoyed Damian's insolence, even if he displayed that enjoyment through numerous detentions.

"Yes, actually, Mr Newton," Damian replied airily, leaning back on his chair. "It's so easy that there's probably no point of me doing the test, since it'll just be a waste of time, you know?"

"Oh, I know all too well, Mr Brewer," Mr Newton chuckled. "It's such a waste of time marking the tests, and yet I still find myself doing it! Maybe if it's so easy, you could sit it at lunch time today with no problem?"

I was surprised when Damian shrugged and said, "Sure. I could do that."

Mr Newton cocked an eyebrow. "Are you bluffing, Mr Brewer?"

Damian grinned. "Yup," he replied, popping the p.

Mr Newton laughed. "Then I suggest you do some revision now, and stop gambling with gravity," he pushed Damian's chair back on its four legs as he passed onto the next students, and Damian let out a low chuckle, shaking his head.

"You gotta love Mr Newton. He's definitely my favourite teacher," he said.

"That's funny, he's Mariam's favourite teacher too," Denise chimed in, and I shot her a look.