Chapter 38

I've done it yet again! An update - and I kept my promise; it's not April yet is it? Honestly the days are a blur now that I'm on holidays, everyday feels like a Friday. Plus, I'm sick, but that in no way stops me from an update!!! So enjoy the latest slice of CTBB cake I baked myself 🍰 and bon appetit!

(Edited)

___________

Damian's POV

"How's school going?" Mum murmured as she leaned back on the pillow the nurse had fluffed up for her moments before. I tried to avoid looking at the IV drip because in all honesty I hated needles, but I had gotten used to seeing them since Mum's chemo involved a lot of injections.

We were in the hospital for her usual chemotherapy, and the nurse had left the room briefly while the drip fed the chemo through Mum's veins. It took around half an hour for it all to go through, so during that time Mum and I had a conversation.

"It's tough," I admitted with a slight chuckle. "But I'm working hard."

"That's what I like to hear," Mum smiled, closing her eyes. "How's Mariam?"

I wasn't surprised Mum asked about her, since Mariam played a big part in my life now. And Mum 'never forgot a pretty face.'

"She's great, as usual," I replied casually.

Mum raised her eyebrows slightly. "You still talk to her?"

"Well, yeah, we...we talk," I nodded. I hadn't told Mum that I actually hung out with her now and her other friends. They were such a cool little group, and they treated me like I was always there with them, and we had always been friends. Friends had a new meaning now. It wasn't just about people you hung out with to look cool and show off with, it was about the ones who cared about you and stuck with you even through the dark times. And I felt like I had people like that now, more than ever.

"How about your other mates, Aidan, Felix, Sam..." Mum trailed off, her breaths becoming deeper and slower as the chemo kicked in, weakening her, but at the same time, killing the cancer cells within.

"We're in touch," I shared classes with each of them, so it wasn't like I avoided them completely, but I felt more comfortable, now that I was a new Muslim, to hang out with Mariam and Yaz. They understood what I was going through, and they had the answers to all my questions. The best part was, I could be myself around them. There was no façade, just me. The real me. The me I was still trying to figure out.

"You did your GAT already, didn't you," Mum sounded half asleep, but she was fighting through it, still making the effort to talk to me, while Dad was out shopping for desperately needed groceries.

"Uh-huh. Two weeks ago." The GAT was a general assessment exam for all students doing Unit 3/4 subjects, and this year it was set in Ramadan, meaning I was both hungry and thirsty during the three hours we had to do it. However, I wasn't really worried about my score on it; the end of year exams were the ones I should really be concerned about.

"I'm sure you did well," Mum mumbled with a slight smile. 

"This week is our last week of term," I spoke gently, tenderly, quietly, like the breath of the wind. "I'll be by your side for two whole weeks, Mum."

"I look forward to that," Mum whispered.

"In Sha Allah," I muttered, more to myself than her, squeezing her hand that didn't have the drip in. It pained me to see her like this, but I had to stay by her side and be with her. I also used these sessions to make du'aa, or supplication, to Allah, begging Him for Mum's recovery, and if she didn't recover, then at least ease her pain and suffering. No prayer was too small, and I didn't expect a miracle or anything, but I knew whatever Allah granted me, it would be what was best for all of us, though I might not know it yet.