Chapter 47

It feels like forever since I last updated, right? Well let me interrupt your forever and deliver another installment of this story which is close to my heart, just like it is for sarasharique9839 who I am dedicating this chapter to 😚

__________

Fasting on my birthday was hard.

But it was made easier when I was greeted with a surprise outside.

"Happy birthday!"

I blinked. Was this really happening?

"Is that mine?" I asked Baba, who leaned against the sleek blue vehicle with a wide grin.

"Indeed it is, habibti," Baba held out the keys to me as I approached, and I stared at them for a second before taking them in my hand, the cold metal pressing into my palm.

"It's beautiful," I stroked the shiny deep blue paint, then engulfed Baba in a hug. "Jazakallahu khair!"

Baba laughed. "You deserve it, Mariam. Have fun."

"Oh, I definitely will," I rubbed my hands together in anticipation. I finally had my very own car! A blue 2015 Volkswagen Polo, to be exact. I was never into cars or anything like that, but I could tell this was a great model. I wondered how much it costed...

"Now that you have your P-plate, you need to have a car too," Baba said, opening the door and pointing out all the features. I noticed the red P on the windshield, and grinned with glee. "We can't have Nasr driving you around anymore, can we?"

"Yeah," I heard Nasr say from behind me as he came out of the house, along with Zeinab and Immi.

"Isn't it small?" Immi always managed to find something wrong, but I smiled at her and replied, "It's perfect!"

"Can we go for a drive?" Zeinab pleaded.

"Not now," I said, remembering that I had a class in an hour. "Maybe later, In Sha Allah."

"You know, I helped pick it out," Nasr told me, slinging an arm around my shoulders and gazing at the car while Zeinab used the side mirror to check her face. "You like the colour blue, right?"

"Of course, who doesn't?" I answered lightly.

"When you buy me a car, make it purple," Zeinab told us. "Or maybe pink. I've always wanted a pink car."

"Like Barbie?" I teased.

"Exactly," Zeinab said.

For a sixteen year old, my sister could be such a six year old sometimes.

Driving in my new car was probably the highlight of my nineteenth birthday. I almost forgot I was fasting since I was too busy trying not to get into an accident.

I pulled into the university parking lot feeling pretty awesome, until I realised I had to pay for parking. Great.

"Why is it so full?" I moaned as I circled the parking lot searching for a parking space. I was used to being in the backseat keeping my eyes peeled for empty parking spaces but now that I was driving I felt the brunt of the frustration when there was nowhere to park.

And then I saw it. I swear a beam of sunlight shone down on the parking spot like a holy sign.

"Alhamdulillah," I murmured as I pulled in, leaving the right amount of space on each side. I really didn't want to deal with any angry drivers for accidentally scratching their precious vehicle, especially when it was my birthday and I was fasting.