Chapter 44

Surprise! I updated Woo! Though it's a filler chapter, you can't have the burger without the filling so enjoy! 🍔

^Pic above of Yasmine, Mariam and Fatima :) Dedicated to xxmoonxwishxx for being so sweet and you guys should definitely check out her story Chained Souls it's addictive 

___________

"I can't do this!" I exclaimed exasperatingly.

"Yes, you can. Just take a deep breath, and press the pedal," Nasr instructed calmly. "Oh, and one more thing."

"What?" I snapped, gripping the steering wheel like it was a chunk of debris in the middle of the ocean.

"Try not to crash into anything," Nasr added with a condescending smile. "No pressure."

I groaned. "I should've just gotten Baba to teach me to drive," I muttered as I checked the mirror, even though there were no cars behind us. And you know why? Because we were in a carpark. Pathetic, I know.

"Bismillah," I murmured the magic words as I hit the accelerator, jerking us forward faster than I anticipated.

"Whoa! Not so hard!" Nasr looked petrified, and he clung to the dashboard. "She's sensitive."

"She?" I scoffed, easing the pressure on the pedal and turning us in a wide circle. This was kind of fun, actually –

"Trolley!" Nasr yelled, and I braked abruptly, rocking forwards in our seats before slamming back again. The trolley in our path seemed to mock us, barely even an obstacle, just loitering in a parking square like a stray, but Nasr's shout had scared me enough to think we were going to crash into it.

"Dude, I wasn't even going to drive in that direction!" I cried.

"You were swerving all over the place, so how was I supposed to know which direction you were going in? Plus, I can't risk you denting my beautiful machine," Nasr retorted. "Any damage done to my Honda and you'll be paying for it out of your tuition fees!"

"You can't do that!" I protested.

"I can do anything – I'm your elder, and for this afternoon, your driving instructor, so no arguments!" Nasr commanded, his voice filling the closed car space.

"Fine," I sighed, making the wise decision not to argue with Nasr because usually I ended up losing. Baba had told me to listen to him, and I couldn't disobey Baba, even if that meant obeying Nasr. I could tell Nasr enjoyed being in charge of me. It had been his job for the past eighteen years.

"Just think, in a few months you'll be ready to drive all by yourself!" Nasr's words were supposed to be encouraging, but it seemed to just make me impatient.

"Months? Will it really take that long to get my P-plate?' I complained.

"At this rate, yes, but fear not, for your brother is the best driving instructor to have ever lived!" Nasr declared. "I can get you ready in weeks, sis, weeks."

"Unless you plan on spending 120 hours straight with me, which according to my calculations, is exactly five days in total, there's no way you'll be able to do that," I said cynically.

"Don't doubt my power, Mims," Nasr said, and I rolled my eyes.

"I think you mean the power of Allah, since you are as powerful as a marshmallow," I shot back.

"Why, thank you," Nasr grinned at me, and I let out a laugh at how stupid my bro was.

"Well, if we're gonna do 120 hours, we might as well get started, right?" I steered the car towards the exit of the carpark, and Nasr began freaking out.