You'll Never Walk Alone

They both stood there righteously, admiring the tunnel before them in which they’d soon enter down; Daniel behind Steven, Steven leading the way in which he had done for what seemed like a century now. Daniel had proudly and majestically taken the place that had always been warmly occupied by Jamie. However now Liverpool’s son had called it a day on his lionhearted playing career, it was now Daniel’s turn to step up and be the support for Steven on and off the field.

“You ready, lad?” Steven asked. Himself and Daniel were the only ones stood in the Anfield tunnel currently. The rapture from outside in the stadium echoed about them, the boom from the music being played in the home and away dressing rooms moulded into just background noise. None of the people entering and exiting the Anfield tunnel hurriedly could distract these two from this moment. Daniel placed his right hand on Steven’s shoulder, the hand that had ‘YNWA’ brazenly tattooed on it; the hymn of their club and their pride and joy. For weeks now the speculation that Daniel was to move to Barcelona had been fierce and had been bubbling around the rumour mill considerably, hoping that someone seemingly stupid would be that naïve to believe it was true. Yet the announcement of the vice captaincy had dampened supposition of negligent reporting. It sent out a huge statement to clubs around the world: Daniel was now the vice-captain of this football club and he wouldn’t be leaving any time soon.

“I’m ready as I’ll ever be,” he patted Steven’s shoulder and the captain turned and gave him his winning smile, the same he showed when he lifted the Champions League trophy back in 2005.

Steven was proud. He was proud of everything in his life. His beautiful wife, his three gorgeous girls, his successful charity, his achievements in football, the players he’d shared a club crest with down the glistening years, Liverpool Football Club and of course the man stood behind him. Ever since the talks between him and Brendan about the vice captaincy position after Jamie had retired had arose, Steven knew immediately who the right man for the job was. It was so apparent whom should be the one to be beside him to fight the battles, to be his right hand man through the strains and tribulations. Daniel was a phenomenal defender, a determined fighter and a reassuring voice of reason. Ideally, Steven would’ve loved it if Jamie had stayed on for at least another year; maybe they could’ve won the league together or at least progressed to the top 4, who knows? But all the qualities in Jamie mirrored Daniel exactly to a point where there was no other reasonable explanation than to make Daniel second in command. It was a decision himself and Brendan had come to together quite easily and it was one he wouldn’t regret.

The opening day of the season was to be huge for the club. This season could be definitive if they did it right. Steven was sure that this was the club’s year; that top 4 would inevitably be in their grasps again. It all depended on the work rate of the team, the commitment and the fitness of the players, the tactics of the manager and of course the passion of the fans. The club needed them now more than ever for sure. Steven had chatted to just about every player in the squad about the upcoming season and now today was judgement day; he needed his soldiers more than ever. The excitement of the new lads, the pressure on the seniors and isolation of the one specific player who wanted away from the club was to be put to one side today as eleven soldiers were to begin their battle in the first ninety minutes of a long and treacherous season ahead.  

As both Liverpool and Stoke began to enter the tunnel to line up before the march out, Steven and Daniel both stared at the iconic ‘This Is Anfield’ sign on the wall above the stairs leading out onto the pitch. Whatever they did this season, they’d do it together side by side with the beautiful sea of red dominating all four stands of Anfield cheering them on to victory. The shiver down the spines of the 11 eleven Reds as ‘You’ll Never walk Alone’ began to shudder through the stadium bought them all back to reality; the season began now. Definitive it may be but walk alone they may not.

----------------------

I was so happy that Daniel was made vice captain that I conjured this up. SOBBING.