Forgotten Pt. 1

Entry #2

Orphan: a child who has lost both parents through death, or, less commonly, one parent. I would hear the older, English-speaking generation say we were orphans of the wasteland, "The United States of America," being that it was said to be baron and inhabitable from the great war caused by the bigot. If any of it was truly true, then we lost far more than that definition describes. The only thing we really have left is the language we speak and we're lucky that isn't dead like so many others; many of the nations around the world weren't evacuated in time before being hit, specifically a land once called "Europe." Orphans of the wasteland were said to have migrated above and below it; obviously, both Nero's and my family went south and at this point, there was no safe or plausible way of getting up north. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sitting around a small fire with ramen and then, "So why's Gizmo so important again?"

"He's knows how to get to Ingor." 

"Never seemed so useful when I seen him round Kaizer."

"Well, looks can be deceiving."

"Why'd ya ask me to come with ya?"

"Huh?"

"You heard me, why'd ya ask me to come with ya?"

"It seemed like the right thing to do."

"So what, you felt bad for me? I'll go off on my own right now ya know-"

"Nero, relax; look, we're a lot alike except only you're a lot tougher than me when I was your age." 

"Well that's obvious."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"That if I were a few years older, you would've been toast when we first met at the gates." 

"Right... well, get some sleep, we've got a long day ahead of us." Even though I had a hard time actually admitting it, the kid was right; I grew up soft compared to him. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What do you mean you've heard that before?"

"Well, this isn't the first adopted family; the kids i meet are always hopeful."

"And you're not?!"

"I don't know." 

"Hey look, if things don't change, there's always plan b."

"Plan b?"

"Yeah; the passage to Ingor."

"The passage to Ingor?" 

"You never heard of the passage to Ingor?!"

"Can't say I have, ever."

 "Everybody knows about it here; my older cousin used to tell us all about it."

"So, what is it exactly?"

"A gateway to another, opposite of ours."

"So then, that means it's peaceful."

"Exactly."

"But wait, what if we go there and things finally end here; we'd be right back where we left off."

Being that I now travel with a plus one, I'll be walking the rest of my journey to find this man known as A.C. Gizmo; next stop, Balsas.