This is it? Pt. 4 (This can't be it)

"This is it." Saying out loud before beginning my journey into the rather unstable looking building. Each step i take, the entire building rocked in that direction, or at least, that's how it felt. I can't imagine an old man dealing with this on a regular; dangerous wasn't even a word to describe it. After twenty minutes of maneuvering, I finally make it to the top floor.

"This is it." I take a deep breath before knocking on the metal door. I wait several seconds for a response before knocking again; still nothing. He's probably sleeping, one really hard knock should do the trick. "Hey Gizmo, I need to talk to you."Turning my back and saying as i wined up my leg to kick the door. The door flies open on contact from my heel and I fall face first to the ground. I dust myself off and go inside; there wasn't much there to see though, except that the entire backside of the home was complete gone and that if Gizmo did live here, he left and in a hurry. Now what? I made it all the way up here and it was for nothing; I sit down on the floor against a wall. I sit there in silence for an unreasonable amount of time, not really thinking or planning; I was once again, hopeless.

"Is someone in here!" Someone shouted from the ground level.

I get up, "Yes, is that a problem?!" Shouting as I walk over to the railing.

It was a girl no older than me, she looked at me worried. "How- How did you get up there?!"

"How do you think; what's this about? Is this about Nero?!"

"This isn't about anyone but you; you need to get down from there right now, this building isn't safe!"

I guess I wasn't imagining the building rocking back and forth after all. "So how do i get back down?!"

"Same way you got up, smart ass- and take your time, I don't need another dead person on my hands!"

"Right!" Right... my life is such a disaster.

Now fretting for my well-being, it took me twice as long as it did to get up, to get back down. "Ta-da." Making it out safely, I do a little hop onto the sidewalk.

"It's funny now but if you'd have died, you'd be quiet." Saying as she boarded up the entrance; she was cold.

"So uh, the old man that lived on the top floor, did you know him?"

"Gizmo? Everybody knows him; what's it to you, you're a relative or something?"

"Not really- more like a friend of the family; do you know where he is by any chance?"

"Last I heard, he left two nights ago with some others to Balsas."

"Balsas? How far is that from here?"

"I don't know- why, what's so important?"

"It's a long story."

"Right well, keep that to yourself then; if you need to be looked at for any injuries, come to my father's doctor office around the corner."

"Thanks for the invitation; know where I can get something to eat around here?"

She glared at me as if I said something wrong; she sighed, "Follow me." She led the way to a small shack-like food front that read on the side 'K's Ramen Shop.' Six seats and one long counter to eat on; it was nothing I was used to seeing. A tall man with salt & pepper hair and distinct facial features stood on the other side with his arms folded and a stern look on his face; this was a horrible idea.