This is it? Pt. 5 (Finale)

My food drops to the floor for the second time as another child in uniform runs directly into me.

"Nero, the elders are back!" No apology, of course; it was as if I didn't exist at all.

Mr. Kyibo's hospitality had stretched far enough; food or no food, it was time for me to go. "You know what, see ya round, Mr. Kyibo, two's plenty-"

Nero shouted at the boy, "Cool, What's the report?"

"We were successful."

The interruptions wouldn't stop. "Any casualties?"

"... a few."

"Right." He paused to eat more ramen. "Well ya ain't gotta debrief me with names; I'll go over them later with squad leader."

I wanted to leave but my feet just wouldn't move; the intensity of this kid's face and the nonchalant attitude of Nero held me in place. He was like me but it was different because he was younger- I was nothing like the person I am now when I was his age; I laughed and played and cried when we lost someone but Nero, he barely budged in his seat.

"Nero... the force's leader is one of the casualties, it's why I came to tell you the report."

Mr. Kyibo froze, staring at Nero; Nero continued eating. "Did they get his body back?"

"No."

"Well," He shrugged, "Least pop went out fightin, right?" There was an awkward silence immediately after.

"Right." Mr. Kyibo and the boy said in unison.

"Nero-"

"Get outta here already, Whale." The boy left but Mr. Kyibo was still frozen and my feet still wouldn't move; Nero continued to gobble up his ramen with no hesitation or tears or shakiness.

"Sorry about your dad."

He stopped eating, making up his face like I confused him. "What? Don't be; pop was a hero in every town we lived in and fought with his heart for the one we're in now. Tears or sympathy is the last thing he'd want for or from me." He went back to eating.

"I guess you're right." Saying as I looked over to the still frozen Mr. Kyibo. This kid might be tough but he still needs to talk to someone right now and Mr. Kyibo is in no state to do that. "So uh, what- what now?"

"What?"

"What now? You staying in Kaizer?"

Nero thought to himself for a moment, stirring his ramen around. "What are ya, stupid? Why should I leave?"

"It's what your father would want, Master Nero." Mr. Kyibo was finally free from his trance and entered the conversation. "For you to get a fresh start and be the hero your father would be wherever he'd go."

Nero hesitated to respond to Mr. Kyibo. "Guess you're right, I should go home and pack-"

"You shouldn't venture alone, Master Nero!" Maybe he could- no, no way.

"Not a lot of choices in the company department, Kyibo or did you magically forget?"

"Then I'll go with you!" Mr. Kyibo shouted; Why am I still here?

"No way! you're too old to be on the roads still- just stay here, I'll be fine."

He'll be fine Lou, you heard him so let's get out of here alread- "You can come with me, if you want."

"What, why would i wanna go anywhere with a Mary like you?"

"You know, you say what a lot." Invitation denied, let's go alread- "Look, I already told you where I was heading so you can tag along there if you want; I get to find Gizmo and you get your fresh start, what's better than that?"

"No way-"

"Master Nero, two is better than one on the roads and as you said, I am old; go with the young master, you and him are one alike."

Nero sighed, "Alright fine already; When do we head out?"

"Whenever you're done eating I guess."

"Well then, I better get my things." Saying as he flipped his empty bowl upside down.

"Come back here before you two leave, I'll have a week's worth of food to go for you on the house."

"Gotcha Kyibo." Nero cleared his throat. "Right, well, follow me Mary."

Nero led the way to a slightly damaged police station; there was complete silence as we entered. Everyone simply stared and saluted Nero as he walked by; It was weird because others died today but Nero's loss was the only one being recognized. Either Nero's dad was one hell of a man or the other fallen were cowards. He unlocked a door that read 'Chief Echo & son,' closing it behind me. Homed to two small cots, a desk and fours walls that were covered in medals and plaques of all kinds; all dealing with bravery and strength and gusto and any other word associated with providing justice. I continued to look around while Nero packed his things. There was a picture of a much younger Nero with people taped to a wall, possibly his family.

"Alright, let's go."

You've got everything?"

"Yeah."

"You sure?"

"Yeah guy, let's go already!"

"Okay." I snatch the picture from off the wall slip it into my pocket; I'd kill to have a picture of my family.

Everyone's actions repeat as we headed for the exit; Whale, the boy from earlier, stopped us half an entire street down to hand Nero a small duffle bag full of ammo, two pistols and a single submachine gun. "Just in case." It was the most bizarre thoughtfulness I ever witnessed but what else would you expect from children of war.