The Final Decision

Blood gushed everywhere.
He fell.
I screamed.
This wasn't supposed to happen.
I knew I couldn't do anything yet I couldn't stop myself from trying. The futile and mindless scrambling to help.
Demons don't have hearts in their true forms. The only thing we need to survive is our pride and a soul once every century.
I found his eyes as the light fled them. I waited. His soul flew out to escape but I caught it.
"We're going to fix this, we are, promise." It shivered under my cold hands. I stared at it. Glimmering like a captured bolt of lightning. It was not the most beautiful soul but to me it was wondrous simply because of who it belonged to. My tears touched it. And suddenly I could hear him. An outline of his figure stood before me.
"You have to let go." He whispered. I shook my head furiously. The outline embraced me and kissed away my tears. I knew it was time. I bit my lip and loosened my hold on the exquisite aura that signified my Sebastian. It wisped away and I fell to my knees.
"This wasn't supposed to happen."
"What am I supposed to do now?" That was Ciel. Since Sebastian had gotten rid of the contract, I had a duty to fulfill. I did not care for Ciel, however he trusted Sebastian. And I would finish the job for him. I stood slowly.
"Ciel Phantomhive," my eyes to the floor, I knew the role of a subordinate well. "My Earl, my Lord, since Sebastian Michaelis has failed then I will take his place. I will stand by your side and protect you, I will keep you safe. Until the contract is complete, if you will have me."
"It seems I'm out of options. _____,"
"Yes, my Lord?"
"You will serve me as faithfully as Sebastian did?"
"Yes, my Lord."
"Is he really dead?"
"I...I'm not sure. I can still feel him, I can feel him here but his heart, I saw his soul leave..."
"What if he's not dead? Do you think he will kill me?"
"No, my Lord. I wouldn't let him."
"Even if it meant you had to kill him?" My heart skipped a beat.
"Bo-chan, he was only just now taken from me, please."
"Your loyalty cannot be in question. Which it is, because you are not bonded to me by contract as he was. Why are you even doing it?"
"Because...you obviously were in such anguish you felt it necesary to call upon a demon to help you. And that demon was Sebastian. You trusted him. To help you. To find your parents' killers and avenge them. You trusted him and he has quit because of me. So now I have to do it. And I will. If you'll have me."
"Come here." I made my way over to his bedside.
"Yes?"
"So you feel you owe me something?"
"Yes, my Lord."
"And your loyalty will be to me and me alone?"
"Yes...my Lord."
I could feel myself hesitating. I could still feel Sebastian here. I wouldn't ever kill Sebastian. I couldn't do that. But I'd protect Ciel from him if I needed to. His eyes stared at me like a wolf before a rabbit. "What is it?"
"When will I get better?"
"Soon."
"Let's head home then. Carry me and take care of me. You know medical procedures don't you?"
"Yes I do."
"Then let's leave. I don't need to do any more payments."
"Yes bo-chan." I picked him up bridal style. Carefully slipping out without the doctor's notice, we made it outside. To my surprise, the same carriage that had taken me home yesterday was passing by. A flyer on the outside for a traveling circus. When the driver spotted me he jeered. I held back a shocked reaction, I thought they liked me. Then the door flew open.
"_____!"
"You know him?" Ciel said with distaste.
"Oh sir," I grasped onto the happy distraction of the spritely fellow. "I never caught your name yesterday."
"Honestly I knew I'd see ye again lass. Ye need a ride?"
"Why does he talk like that?" Ciel whispered.
"I'm not sure, let's take his offer."
"Are you certain it's safe?"
"He picked me up alone yesterday, it was fine."
"I'm trusting you on this." I nodded and called to the awaiting man.
"Yes sir, thank you." I clambered into the carriage and sat Ciel next to me.
"Is this," he began to ask.
"Yes, this is my master, Ciel Phantomhive."
"Ah, ye have a very lovely maid."
"She is quite exquisite on the outside, yes." Ciel agreed with slight agitation.
"Only on the outside?" The orange hair was beautiful, it shook as he laughed.
"She comes from Hell." Ciel spoke blatantly. I stiffened a bit.
Why would he tell him that??
"Is she that bad? Seemed kindly yesterday." I leaned forward a bit.
"I am kind, he's just mad at me."
"Is that so?" I smiled and suddenly he switched to sit by me. His arm draped over my shoulders. "You are quite a lovely lass."
"Ugh you're so infatuated. Get over her."
"Ciel, this gentleman is generously giving us a ride. The least you could do is be grateful."
"Sound more like a keeper than a maid." The man whispered to me. I laughed a bit.
"He is only 13."
"Blimey, must be rich to pick up a pretty girl like ye are as a maid."
"You flatter me." Ciel rolled his eyes and stared out the window. The carriage slowed.
"Well, this is yer stop."
"Thank you very much." I helped Ciel down and turned around. He grabbed my hand and kissed it.
"Good bye, my fair lady." Before he let go I remembered.
"Your name, please."
"They call me Joker."
"Joker?"
"I don't have a real name."
"Well that's quite a-"
"So much for your loyalty to Sebastian, _____." Ciel interrupted.
"Sebastian?" Joker questioned.
"My mate...who has died recently."
"Oh my." I spoke up.
"It does no good to dwell on sad matters. Thank you so much, Joker."
"Trust me, the pleasure was all mine, _____." I smiled at him and he released my hand.
"Good bye."
"I will find ye again my lady!" I smiled at him as he rolled away then turned to Ciel.
"Let's get you inside."
"He seemed to catch your fancy."
"He was very nice."
"Nice to look at huh?"
"No, I mean yes but that's not why I was being kindly to him."
"I'm sure it's not."
"I love Sebastian." I countered as we made it to the doors. Tanaka opened them.
"You flirt a lot for someone who loves someone else."
"I did not."
"Why did you hold his hand for so long?"
"I was inquiring him."
"And you had to hold his hand to do so?"
"Bo-chan?" I heard Mey-Rin say.
"Oh, Mey-Rin, put on a fire in my room will you? Bardroy!"
"Yes sir?" Bardroy ran out from the servant's quarters.
"Dinner please, something light."
"Yes sir."
"Did you just say please?" I teased him. "Maybe you should be near death more often."
"Maybe you should be tested. If your loyalty to Sebastian was so easily broken then how can I expect you to be loyal to me?" I let go of him.
"I wasn't disloyal." I enunciated each word. He just eyed me, he knew it wasn't wise to keep pushing. I carried him up the stairs and let him down at his bedroom door. He walked inside and I helped him into his bed.
"I'm going to take a nap. Wake me in an hour."
"Yes my Lord."
"And I know you'll be looking for him. If you find him alive, Kill him." My heart skipped a beat.
"Bo-chan?"
"Your loyalty cannot be in question and I can't risk him coming for revenge. Kill him, that is an order." I swallowed down the lump in my throat and spoke the well learned response.
"Yes, my Lord." I bowed and excused myself silently and slipped downstairs.
"Ciel is sleeping. Do not wake him unless he's in danger. I'll be back soon enough."
"Where are you going?"
"Me? Oh I'm going to Hell." They seemed confused. I just smirked and whisked out the door. I would go to Hell. I needed a definite answer. So did Ciel.