Part 19

After spending some quality time with their father, Gabi and Maria were back with Stevie. It hadn't been long, when Gabi went to look for her mother with a question in mind, which Stevie didn't necessarily want to answer.

"Mom, where's Lindsey?"

Turning her full attention to her daughter, Stevie took a deep breath. "Well... He's at his condo." The two hadn't seen each other for about a week. Not one visit, not one call. Stevie wasn't sure if he was pissed off or if he listened and allowed her some time to think. 

"Why?"

"He had... we..."

"I'm not a little kid, Mom. I know something happened."

Nodding her head, Stevie admitted. "Yes, you're right. Lindsey and I had an argument. I don't want to get too deep into details, but it made him go back to his place for a while. We need some space."

"What did you argue about that it made him move out?" Gabi asked, now going to sit on the bed, as she had expected a short answer at first. 

"He didn't move out, he's just... Honestly, Gabi, I'm not even really sure what to tell you. I don't know what's going on right now." Stevie said the last bit quietly, because it was the truth.

Gabi saw how sad and entirely somewhere else Stevie appeared to be, as she lay down by her side, wrapping an arm around around her middle. "I hope this doesn't mean you two broke up?"

"I hope not." Stevie replied tearfully. 

"I know you might think I'm too young to understand, but I can listen, you know." Gabi looked up, as Stevie smiled weakly, pressing a kiss to her hair.

"I know, honey, I do."

They lay together for some time until Gabi drifted off, Stevie carefully pulling away not to disturb her daughter's sleep, as she got out of the bed and quietly tiptoed out of the room. 

While Stevie was in the kitchen, making dinner, Gabi and Maria where in the living room, occupied together, with the TV on as well. "I'll be right back." Gabi said, going to check on Stevie to make sure she was busy.

One thing Gabi hated was seeing her mother upset and even if she hardly ever admitted it aloud, Gabi knew her to be. She also knew Stevie was stubborn and it was highly doubtful she was going to take the first step towards reconciling with Lindsey. Gabi realized that she might do more damage than help fix things, but she was going to give it a try anyway.

Taking two steps at a time, she hurried to her room and locked the door, reaching for her phone on the nightstand. She found Lindsey's number right away and dialed it.

"Gabi? Is everything alright?" Lindsey picked up, sounding worried. It wasn't everyday he received phone calls from either of Stevie's daughters.

"Yes, yes everything is fine. Okay, not everything. Or everyone..."

She heard a sigh on the other end. "Gabi, I appreciate your concern, but your mother made it pretty clear that she doesn't need me right now."

"Of course she does, Lindsey. Maria and I came here today from being with Dad and Mom barely talks to us, she's distant and upset. I know it's because you're not with her."

Smiling slightly, Lindsey asked. "Are you sure you're only sixteen?"

"I just know my mother. She didn't tell me what happened exactly, but I know she misses you. Even if she tried to deny it, I'm sure she would want nothing more than for you to come back."

"Well, should I come then?"

"It's up to you, I'm only giving you an insight of the situation, so to say."

There was a knock on the door, making Gabi jump. "Sweetheart, dinner is almost ready."

"Okay, Mom!" She half shouted, forgetting to shield the speaker.

"Gabi, Jesus!" 

"I'm sorry." She laughed. "Anyway, I have to go. I hope you know what's the right thing to do." She rushed and then hung up.

Dinner was eaten mostly in silence, the girls having nearly finished their food, while Stevie was picking at hers with a fork, mindlessly starting at her plate. Getting up from the chair, Gabi took Maria's plate, reaching for Stevie's too.

"I doubt you'll be finishing that?"

"I... no." Stevie shook her head. "Leave it, I'll wash the dishes later."

"It's no problem." Gabi smiled, walking over to the sink.

About half an hour or so later, the doorbell rang. Stevie frowned, as she wasn't expecting any visitors. "Wonder who that is." She said not to anyone in particular. 

Opening the door she saw Lindsey, wearing an expression on his face that mirrored hers. He then held up his hand from his side, presenting her with a bouquet of roses. It made her smile, as she stepped back and let him come in. They didn't say anything, instantly hugging each other and holding on for a long moment, Gabi spying on the two, knowing she did the right thing.

"I'm sorry." Lindsey said at last, his arms still tight around Stevie's waist as hers were around his neck.

"I'm sorry, too." She echoed his words, her heart beating faster, loving the feeling of him so close again. 

That was enough. No long explanation from either of them was needed, it was enough for them to admit it that they both were wrong. 

Pulling back, Stevie took Lindsey's hand, walking with him into the living room for a vase. Lindsey and Gabi made eye contact, smiling subtly. 

"Hey, girls." He then greeted the sisters, both of them giving him hugs.

"Where were you?" Maria asked. 

"I... I was working." Lindsey lied, thinking that it wasn't going to harm anyone. "But I'm here now."

"Linds?" Stevie asked. "Could you reach that for me?" She pointed at a vase that was entirely too high for her to get it on her own.

"Sure thing." He nodded and went to take it, handing it to her. 

"Come with me." Stevie then said, leading them to the kitchen, where she quickly filled the vase up with water and put the flowers in, then making sure they were alone, wrapped herself around him, capturing his lips for a passionate and almost needy kiss. "I missed you so much." She looked up at him as he pressed his forehead against hers, staring deeply into her eyes.

"And I missed you too, baby. Don't send me away again, okay?"

"Never." She agreed, now responding to his lips upon hers.