Prologue

2032. That's the year Planet Earth was eradicated by a force we know as The Invasion. Our teachers tell us that The Invasion wiped out most of the human race, but that's all we know about it. But I know more. I know that it committed an alleged genocide on the entire female population and I've tried to tell my friends and my family, but they don't listen; they only look at me with confused eyes and ask me what females are.

Now it's 2042 and The Dome has made us even worse than before. No one feels anything, no one knows anything besides what they soak up in school, and no one knows about their lives before The Invasion. All we have left is our names. I've read in books that whoever was behind The Invasion took our memories, too, but I don't how true that it is or if I should believe it. The Government tells us not to because it will lead to thinking and thinking is dangerous; they say it will only lead to another Invasion.

I don't feel like everyone else in The Dome. They all walk around like robots who don't know they're being controlled, but I don't. I'm always wondering about what I was like 10 years ago as an eight-year-old with no idea that his life was about to be taken from him. What my friends were like, if I had any crushes, how I was doing in school: I wonder about everything imaginable, but no one else in The Dome does that and my parents say that I should stop wondering. They say wondering will lead to thinking and thinking is dangerous.

I don't think it is, though. I think there is a greater danger than thinking out there, but I don't know what it is yet. And until I know for sure, I can't say anything to anyone. I just have to be quiet and listen to my parents and my teachers and the Government because that's what everyone else does.

Jongin, 18, 3/5/2042

A/N: This story is inspired from The Maze Runner and The Giver, but the main inspiration behind this was the song "Flower" by Xiah Junsu because it just gives me post-apocalyptic vibes for some reason, so if it helps you get a feel for the mood, please give that song a listen. (It's also just a really good song, so yeah)