Chapter XV

As soon as Siwon's car pulls away from the library, Jongin and Yoochun rush to finish their research. There are only two more names on the list, and the moment he says they're done, Yoochun dismisses Jongin from the rest of the trainee work day. He bolts out of the library and toward the school building, no longer caring if other citizens stop to stare at him in suspicion. There were people he had to warn, precious lives that he had to at least attempt to save from the malicious plans Siwon and the Government had for them. And, plus, if they knew even half of what he did, they would be running around like a madman during the apocalypse, too.  

The students are exiting the school just as Jongin arrives there, allowing him to slow down to a stop as he waits for Asher to appear. He does a moment or so later, prompting Jongin to rush over to him before the younger can even take notice of him. 

"Jongin," he says in surprise. "What are you doing here? You have not been to our living quarters since yesterday morning and our guardians are becoming very suspicious."

"The President," Jongin starts as he tries to catch his breath, completely disregarding his brother's previous words, "did he come here today and talk to you?"

"Yes, he did stop by," Asher says. "Why do you ask?"

"What did he say to you?"

"Nothing. He asked me about school, the assignment I wanted to receive, and he asked about you, too. He wanted to know if you told me about your assignment at all, but I told him no you didn't."

Jongin sighs in relief, nodding. "Good, that's good you said that," he says. "But if he or anyone else from the Government or the Council comes to you asks about me, do not tell them anything. Lie, make up a story, I don't care what you do."

"But I cannot lie," Asher says, furrowing his eyebrows slightly and shaking his head. "It would be wrong for me to lie to my elders."

"I know you can't and in any other situation that would be a great thing," Jongin says, kneeling down in front of the younger and wrapping his hands around his arms, "but right now, in the situation we're about to be in, you have to forget about having morals. I know you don't see it now, but it's gonna be what saves your life."

At this, Asher becomes even more baffled. "I do not understand, Jongin," he says. "Why are you saying this? Is something bad going to happen to you?"

Jongin sighs and lowers his head. "I hate to say it, but," he says, lifting his head to meet Asher's eyes again, "yes, something bad might happen to me." Asher blinks a couple of times and Jongin sees his eyes begin to glisten. "But don't worry about me, okay?" he adds, inching closer to him and tightening his grip on him. "I can take care of myself. You just promise me that whatever you do, you won't put yourself in danger and that includes telling people about me. If people come to you asking about me and you give them an honest answer, then that won't stop them from using you as bait to get to me. And I don't need anyone else getting hurt because of me. So, you have to promise me that you'll stay quiet. Can you do that for me? Can you do that for hyung?"

Asher stares at his brother for a moment, seeing the disparity in his eyes and swallowing the lump forming in his throat because of it. "Okay," he says softly yet sincerely. "I promise." Smiling, Jongin pulls Asher into his arms, sighing and closing his eyes as he rests his chin on his shoulders. He pulls back and gazes sadly at Asher, his hand sliding down his arms and squeezing his hands. 

"I'll come back for you, I promise," he says. "So, wait for me."

"But Jongin-"

"I left you something for you in my room." Jongin continues on as if he doesn't hear Asher. "When the time comes, you'll know where to find it." Asher's mouth opens and he tries to speak again, but Jongin pulls him into another hug before any words can come out. It doesn't last long as the previous one, Jongin retracting and standing up not long into the hug. "Be careful, okay?" he says, looking down at Asher. "Don't let anyone control you. And don't let anyone tell you that it's not safe to think. I'll come back for you."