Fight Me

With the door safely locked at her back, Alise groaned and slid down it. She could already hear Jeff moving to follow her, and she rolled out of the way in case he was planning on breaking the door down. Instead, she heard him sigh, and what sounded like him sitting on the carpet outside. Just to be careful, Alise moved to her bed, silently rifling through the sheets until she found the switchblade she kept under her pillow.

“Kitten,” Jeff called tauntingly, tapping against the door. Alise stiffened. “You can come out now,” he purred.

“Not likely,” she muttered more to herself than to him, flicking the blade out. It was a lot smaller than Jeff’s kitchen knife, but it would have to do if push came to shove. Once checking to see if the opening mechanism was fluid in the knife, she quickly hid it in the waistband of her pants. Moving to her window, she opened it. It gave a slight creak as she shoved it up.

“Now, kitten, that’s not playing fair,” Jeff complained. “Don’t make me break the door down,” he said in a teasing tone, giving a harder shove than necessary on the door. The frame shook and trembled under the force, making Alise blanch. Already shoving one leg out the second story window, she froze when she heard her doorbell ring.

Jeff stopped as well, and Alise could hear his even breathing from behind the door. “Alise!” the voice came from her front door, muffled by the walls in between them. “Alise Lestrade!” She didn’t recognize the voice at all. She could hear Jeff’s quiet chuckling.

“Come answer the door kitten, or I will,” he laughed. Alise shuddered. She didn’t want anyone to get hurt simply because he wanted to get back at her.

“Promise you want hurt me on my way there,” she hissed back. Jeff chuckled again, a soft tapping on her door the only noise to show he was still there.

“Tick tock, Alise,” he hummed. The man was still screaming outside her front door, ringing the doorbell in urgent bursts by then. Alise jerked the door open, coming face to face with Jeff. He smirked, pulling her to him by her waist and dragging the knife softly across her flesh. “Go answer the door, then we’ll play,” he smirked wildly, disappearing into her room as she jerked away.

 “Jeff!” she groaned. Fixing her hair as best she could, along with rubbing the blood away from the bite on her neck, she opted to just hide her injured shoulder behind the door frame. There was no way to fix it on such short notice. “I’m coming!” she shouted irritably, rubbing the wound on her shoulder. It had stopped oozing blood some time during her struggle with Jeff, but it still hurt.

Jerking the door open, she glared hotly at the man – boy, really – standing outside. He shuffled awkwardly under her stare, scratching the back of his neck. “Hi, Alise. I’m Kane Winchester. Your grandmother sent me to check up on you? She said you weren’t answering her calls.”

“My grandmother?” she muttered, rubbing her head. “You mean my Nana?” he nodded enthusiastically to her reply. “Oh, I must have been sleeping for longer than I thought. My mistake,” she smiled an empty smile, all the while thinking how difficult it would be to get away from Jeff after this.

“Must have. What happened to your neck? And who’s Jeff?” he asked suddenly, throwing her off. Her mouth flopped open and closed like a fish as she scrambled for an answer.

“Jeff is my… cat. And, the little shit that he is, bit me,” she fake cringed, rubbing the spot like it was a wound from war. In a way, it was, just not the playful type she was portraying. “I really should get him neutered, maybe then he’d calm down,” she joked, more for Jeff’s benefit than Kane’s.

Kane smiled, but then confusion overtook his face. “But… Your nana mentioned that your cat’s name was Andromeda?” Alise twitched, her fake smile growing wider in her attempt to hide her anxiety.