Home

Waking up the next morning, Alise groggily went about her business. Jeff was on the couch, where she had left him the night before to his ultimate reluctance. He pouted like a child when she said he couldn’t sleep in her bed.

Brushing her hair back with her fingertips, she eyed for a moment to try and tell if he was awake or not. Hearing him let out a muffled groan as he shifted, she smiled. She’d never seen him sleep so peacefully before.

Grabbing her keys, she began to walk out the door. Alise had to go to a college campus and check it out—parent’s orders. She heard Jeff stir again and his feet hit the floor. She paused at the door, turning to him. She didn’t know why she had the feeling that she had to check in with him every time she did anything, but she knew it was getting annoying.

“Kitten,” he said gruffly, his morning voice hoarse and scratchy. She almost giggled at the dazed expression on his face; he seemed pretty tired still.

“Just going to check out a campus, Jeff. I’ll be back in a few, okay?” she rolled her eyes slightly. As she tried to step out the door again, he surprised her by darting towards her and closing it.

“Campus?” he asked groggily, eyes still sleepy. Alise nodded slowly.

“Like… for college,” she elaborated, watching his face go blank. He frowned, part of his mouth still stuck in a smile. “What?” she asked rudely, not really liking how even though she tried to fight it, he had so much influence over her life.

“You’re going to college?” he raised an eyebrow incredulously. Alise was insulted.

“Maybe,” she scoffed at him. “Don’t believe I can?” she challenged testily. She was one insult away from punching him in the throat and being done with it.

“Maybe,” he teased back, waking up a bit more and mimicking her posture. Alise growled, uncrossing her arms and taking one menacing step forward. Without warning, Jeff slammed the door behind her and shoved her into it, his hands rested on either side of her head. “I don’t want you to go,” he said after a moment’s silence.

Alise frowned. “Why the hell not?” she growled, still irritated with him. Jeff sighed, running a pale hand down her jaw line. She froze in place, not quite comprehending what he was doing. After a few more moments of him just staring at her, as though willing her to understand something, she snapped. “Well? What is it, Jeff?” she growled out.

“I just don’t!” he snarled back, just as hostile. Alise was a ticking time bomb, and he was lighting the fuse.

“Why the hell should you get a choice in my actions?” she hissed, placing both hands in the center of his chest and shoving hard. She barely noticed the wince he gave when he slammed into the wall, likely reopening his wound. She was seeing red. “Tell me, why in the actual fuck should I allow you to rule my life?”

“Because you don’t have a choice,” he growled back, pushing her away from him as she advanced. Her shoulder clanged off a bookshelf nearby, but in her anger, she barely felt the pain.

“You inconsiderate—“ without anymore preamble, she let out an angry, strangled shriek and launched herself at him. Jeff was ready for it, but instead of putting his arms up to block her, he let her tackle him to the floor, her fists pounding on his chest erratically.

“I—will—kill—you—“ she roared, each hit becoming progressively harder. Eventually, Jeff grunted and slung her off of him, an annoyed expression contorting his face. His lips moved, forming words, but Alise couldn’t hear. Her blood was roaring, an agitated fire building in the pit of her stomach saying nothing but burn, crush, destroy. She growled, and she could see his eyebrows come together as he realized she wasn’t listening.