Prologue

Part of Your World

Prologue

Loreley

I do not know what haunts me, what saddened my mind all day; an age-old tale confounds me, A spell I cannot allay.

The air is cool and in twilight The Rhine's dark waters flow; the peak of the mountain in highlight reflects the evening glow.

There sits a lovely maiden above so wondrous fair, with shining jewels laden, she combs her golden hair.

It falls through her comb in a shower, and over the valley rings a song of mysterious power that lovely maiden sings.

The boatman in his small skiff is seized by a turbulent love, No longer he marks where the cliff is, He looks to the mountain above.

I think the waves must fling him against the reefs nearby, and that did with her singing the lovely Loreley.

I watch as my mother closes her poem book and sighs in delight, "I think that's enough for tonight my sweet." She says as she looks down at me and moves her fingers through my short light brown hair. "Please read Loreley again mother." I bag as I move closer to her. She starts to giggle as she wraps her arm around me, "Sorry Jack, but it's very late." She says and I feel my room swing to the side. I see my mother closes her eyes, waiting for the wave to past back. "Damn those waves, you'd think I'd be used to living on a ship." She hisses as the waves past. I grab my mother's hand trying to help her relax a bit.

"Father doesn't mean to hit the waves." I say as I feel her thumb start to rub the top of my hand. "I know sweetie." She says before she got into a coughing fit making her sit up quickly knocking me off her lap. "Oh... Jack... I'm sorry." She says in between coughs. I shake my head, "It's alright mother." I say as she finally stops coughing, father has been trying for months to make her stay on land to get better, but she won't leave us. She says her heart is in the sea because that's where my father and I will always be. "How about a story instead of a poem?" She asks as she lies back down again. "Are you sure you're okay with telling a story? We can always just go on the deck for a bit of fresh air." I say but she moves her hand around me, pulling me back into her lap. "I think a story sounds better." She says with a smile as she clears her throat.

"Once upon a time, there was a palace under the sea. A palace so hard to find that humans don't even believe it's real." She says as she starts to mess with my hair again. "And in that palace Poseidon rules the seven seas with his two beautiful mermaid daughters. (A/N okay I know this is totally off, but it's a story, have fun with it!) And they lived in peace and harmony with their kingdom.

"The youngest daughter, was goofy, playful and a hopeless romantic girl who just wanted to have fun." "What did she look like mother!?" I ask as I sit up, too excited to sit still. "Oh she is very beautiful Jack, she has long strawberry blonde hair with some white mixed in that goes past her shoulder and down her back, so to keep it out of her face she ties it up in two pigtails. She has light blue eyes that have a little bit of green tied in there just like the ocean. Her favorite thing in the whole sea though was to build sandmen with her sister."

"What was the other sister like mother?" I ask making her giggle before it comes a cough. Before I could worry, she stopped and gave me a weak smile. "The oldest daughter has long snow blonde hair with some blue mixed in that goes all the way down her butt, so she ties her up in a side french braid to keep it out her face and her bright blue eyes match the most beautiful of jewelries. But she's very shy, and doesn't really talk to anyone but her family. But that's not what gets the mermaid's attention, it's her singing voice that does. They say that her voice is the reason that boats crash into the rocks is because it's so beautiful that they become memorized by her voice and forget what they are doing."