Chapter Eighteen |Assigned Partners|

AVERY

It's been about a week now since I lost one of the greatest boyfriends I ever had. Let alone the only boyfriend I ever had. My only friend..my best friend and that's been hard on me as well. I'm also loosing my parents. Even myself at times. I'm back at school and I honestly don't know what to expect. I don't know if there's gossip about me beating up Jasmine or more rumors going around that I'm basically a slut. I don't know.

"Thanks, mom" I said before climbing out of the car. She smiles

"Behave" she says before driving away. I hold on to the strap of my bag really tightly. I hate to admit, but I was actually nervous. Whatever happened to my confidence and me being the strongest girl out here who never gave a fuck about anyone or anything? I guess she was gone.

I walk inside and go straight to my locker. No one notices my presence which was a good thing. I then hear ranting from around the corner and can't help but wonder who it is. I peep my head around the corner and find out that it's just Jasmine and this guy I've seen in my math class. I shake my head. Of course it's her who would be making all of this unnecessary noise this morning. I close my locker and prepare myself before walking into class. I walk down the hall exchanging glances from people but just for a quick second. I walk in a few minutes early and sit up front. I know Chris is in this class and I don't want to even look at his face but the teachers and the boards. It really drives me crazy to know that it's really over between us, but I had to do what was right.

•••

CHRIS

"Aye wassup, Chris" Tyga walks over to me after having an argument with Jasmine. I just approached him with a head nod. I haven't really been myself after this break up. It's been hard on me and I can't seem to get over it.

"When did you two become friends?" Jasmine asks

"When yo ass stopped being in other people's business" he spat causing her to roll her eyes and turn on her heel

"I can't with that girl, man" he sighs

"I've been there" I said nodding my head

"Yeah. I'm thinking about dropping her cause' I know she's out here sleeping with every dude she meets and that shits making me look dumb as hell" he says as we walk to class. I think about when I first met Jasmine. She didn't want a relationship with me she just wanted to get in my pants.

"She's no one to trust. She definitely reminds me of someone I know" I said as we step foot in the class. I immediately noticed Avery since she was sitting up front. We both keep an startled look on our face and turn our heads. I sit in the back with Tyga as the class began.

"Happy Monday" the teacher smiles. The class gives no response.

"My name is Mr. Gilmer, I'm your substitute teacher for today." He added. Some of the students holler in excited while others just remain neutral. Ty leans over and whispers if I wanted to skip

"Nah, man. I'll pass" I tiredly said slumping my head on the desk.

"Yo, wassup with you today?" He asked

"Nothing. I'm straight" I mumbled in my sleeve. He smacks his teeth

"Yeah, okay. It's about that girl ain't it?" He nudges me

"Maybe, but I don't wanna talk about that right now" I sit up straight and look over at Avery.

"Nigga, you sound like a female. I'll see you after lunch tho" he gets up while dapping me up then leaving the room, but the teacher stopped him