16. Because You Loved Me (Epilogue)

Swaying slowly to the music, I burrowed more firmly into the embrace of my son's arms, tears falling down my face as we moved. People around us were whispering and crying, watching as their new Alpha danced with his mother. I couldn't fight my own sorrows as we continued to dance together, flashes of his childhood playing like a movie reel in my mind. I was seeing him grow again, from the beautiful baby boy I never thought I'd have, to the man who had come into our bedroom six months ago and asked for my mother's engagement ring.

"Dad looks a little impatient Mama maybe I should give you back." Jackson whispered, leaning down so I could hear him better. I chuckled lowly, knowing that despite the fact that Jackson was our little boy, Sean didn't like having me out of his arms very long. I shook my head softly and held my son a little longer, needed the last few minutes that I could get. I knew that this wasn't the end of my wonderful relationship with baby, but now that he was Mated and married, I was handing him over and trusting in Kiera, the wonderful school teacher he'd brought home nearly eight months ago. This meant stepping back and letting her take care of him and while I trusted her, I'd never been far from Jackson incase he'd ever needed me.

As the song began to wind down, I looked up at my twenty-five year old son, studying him. He looked almost exactly like his father -- He was over six foot tall, and built similarly. His eyes were the same deep shade of chocolate brown, and nearly always sparkling with mischief. Unlike Sean, Jackson kept his hair short, disliking having it hanging in his eyes. His jaw was just a strong as his fathers and his mannerisms were a complete replica, but his attitude was all me. Jackson had grown so quickly it seemed. I sniffled finally as the song ended, stepping back and taking a look at him fully. My heart swelled with pride and love for the man my son had become, but I feared it would burst with the sadness I felt.

"Mama, don't cry." Jackson said, his face crumpling with a deep pain I didn't ever want him to experience. I sniffled and wiped my eyes, giving him a wobbly smile as Kiera approached in her cream colored wedding gown. She smiled brightly at me as she wrapped her arms around him, love shining in her emerald eyes.

"I'm okay baby, you guys go dance."

"No-"

"I've got your mama son, go dance with your glowing bride." Sean's voice came from behind and his arms were around me in a blink. I knew he could feel my sorrow just like I could feel his. While we were proud of our child, we were also at a loss. Jackson had been our little miracle from the moment we found out about him all those years ago and we were watching him become his own man. I knew that soon he'd be a father, if the flush in Kiera's cheeks and the roundness of her face were any indication, and soon Sean and I would be two of the happiest grandparents in the world, but I was still struck with the loss of my little boy.

"He's grown up so fast Sean." My voice was weak as I stared at the couple dancing, watching as they twirled and moved to the beat of the song, pulling in to kiss ever few seconds. Sean's arms squeezed me lightly in a comforting manner and his lips brushed the top of my hair.

"He's grown into a man I'm damn proud to call my son." His voice caught on the end and it was my turn to comfort my mate. While Sean had put on a good front during the entire wedding, I knew what no one else did -- I was looking at the same man that I had caught crying the day Jackson went off to kindergarten.

I closed my eyes as I pressed myself into his chest, fighting back more tears. We were truly blessed.

Thank you Goddess for giving me this chance. For Sean. For Jackson. For everything. Thank you.

*** So, this is it. The last chapter of Tora's Sacrifice. I want to thank anyone who read the entire thing. If you read this before it was renamed, you're a champ for making it thorugh this. I know it's rough, so thank you.