00:41 A.M

"I can tell you three truths about the universe. Three truths I've learnt in my twenty-two years on this rock we call a planet."

"Whoa. Twenty-two? Fuck, you're so old."

"What? Twenty-two isn't old. How old did you think I was?"

"I don't know mate. To be fair I did think you were like thirty when I first met you."

"Thirty?"

"Yeah. What? Don't look at me like that. It's the beard. The beard makes you look thirty-two at least. Honestly, it makes you look like you have a mortgage and two kids."

"Piss off. It doesn't. This beard is brilliant. Birds love this beard. You're bitter because you can't grow one."

"I can grow one. I just don't want to look homeless mate –"

"No you can't. Nineteen years old and you can't grow a beard–"

"I can grow a beard you arsehole, what are you –"

"We're getting off topic – damn it what was I saying? Uh...Uh..."

"Something about the universe and the truths you've learnt in your thirty years on this planet –"

"Twenty-two."

"Sure."

"Universal truths. Right – oh. Okay. One; the universe is too vast and too chaotic just too busy to care about you or anything you will ever do. Two; I'm insignificant. I'm miniscule. I'm barely a speck. Nothing I do matters. Three; life is short and random and ultimately pointless."

"My God. You're dark."

"The natural state of the universe is darkness."

"Okay, okay, okay, let's – let's breakdown your supposed truths about the universe."

"Let's."

"I agree with your first truth - although you could argue that truth is relative but let's not get into that right now – but I don't really agree with your second or third truths. Okay. So. Yeah. Life....life is short. Life is short but, mate, c'mon, life is also the longest thing you'll ever do. I don't think - don't roll your eyes at me –"

"– I wasn't. Are you sure your glasses are working?"

"My glasses are working fine, twat. Listen. Life isn't short. Time drags it out. It – it drags every second, every minute, every hour. Time stretches life to its breaking point."

"I'm reaching my breaking point with you."

"I don't think life is random."

"Oh jeez."

"What?"

"Let me guess. You're about to go on about the beauty and meaning of life and how we're all here for a super special purpose."

"You said it like a true arsehole but – yeah."

"Micah, c'mon, you can't be that naïve. There's no meaning to anything. It's all just an arbitrary sequence of events and signs people mistake for meaning. It's better to live your life knowing everything is pointless."

"What? How is that better? It sounds bloody depressing."

"It's not depressing. It's reality."

"No. That's your reality."

"Oh yeah? And what's your reality then, Micah?"

"I don't know...something less – less....shit. Something with significance."

"Quite similar to my reality, Micah, your reality also has no significance. It has no more significance than the cigarette in my hand or that couple upstairs that's always arguing."

"That's bullshit. I'm important. I'm amazing. I have so much to offer the world. I know have a role to play in this long game. It might not be big and I might not be remembered for it but I still have a role. Although I'm gonna make sure I am remembered. Look everything has a function – like the fifty cigarettes you smoke like chimney everyday calm you down yet they put your health at risk. The couple upstairs give me the perfect guide on how not to do relationships. It all serves a purpose"

"It's all part of the grand scheme of the universe?"

"Yeah!"

"Oh, shit. Now I get your reality. It's sunshine and roses and free beer for the rest of your life."

"Yeah! What's with wrong that?"

"How long do you have?"

"Oh...I'd say...about a good five hours and fifty-four minutes. I have to go to the gym in the morning and then I have a two hour lecture followed by a three hour lab session. Fun."

"All right, well, I'm heading to bed. I have a long day of nothing since I get Tuesdays off and you're giving me a headache so – goodnight, Micah."

"Yeah. Night."