Part IV

Turns out that you just have to ring a button that looks like a doorbell to get food. I thought that was a better invention than the cell phone after my whole experience. I have to say, the room, the food, and the fact that we were kidnapped may have sucked, but I do have to say this, the company sure didn't. I was too hungry to waste time using manners. I inhaled the hamburgers that were given to us by the nurses. Corin looked at my bulging cheeks and while laughing, told me to pace myself. We finished up our meals and got ready for bed. The kidnapping nurses had gotten Corin and Asher some clothes to sleep in. Corin's were too small for me, and Asher's were too big. I felt like Goldilocks, but I ended up wearing Asher's anyway. Asher called top bunk, so me and Corin slept in the bottom bunk. I thought I was going to be staring into the dark for a few hours, but I guess my physically and emotionally draining day took it out of me. I lied there for a few minutes then fell asleep to Corin's deep breathing in my ear.

                                                                               #$^&^&()$%((_&*(%($

The next day was uneventful; Corin and Asher whooped me in poker. I think I owed them more than the president's salary by dinner. We talked and gambled and read out loud to each other. I learned that these girls were like sisters, meaning they either got along like peanut butter and jelly, or were at each other's throats. I had to pull Corin off Asher after a particularly competitive round of poker. They were shouting things at each other that I don't even want to think about repeating. The only thing I could think was, where did they learn these? I made them hug it out and then we read a chapter of a Mark Twain book. When the lights went out, which by the way, is 9:30 every night, we started discussing more important things. As where all important things are discussed, we huddled together on the bottom bunk bed. 

Asher started, "Alright, guys, we have to find a way to bust out of here." Corin and I nodded. 

"The people that come to talk to us sometimes asked if we had ever heard about another person who hadn't gotten their Blaze." I blinked; they had never mentioned being visited. 

"People come to talk to you guys, and they knew about me?" Corin nodded, "Well, they didn't know about you personally, but they thought there might have been at least one more of us out there."

Asher just rolled her eyes. "Where do you think we got all the board games and books? They didn't just appear," she added. 

 "I guess I didn't think about that." I replied a little miffed. 

Corin stopped the fight before it began, "It doesn't matter. The point is, Asher and I waited to try and escape because we didn't think we could overpower those nurses on our own. We knew we only had one shot and we were holding out hope that someone else was going to get thrown down here and give us an edge."

Asher just looked at me, "What a great surprise you were."

"Is that sarcasm I hear in your tone?" I challenged. Asher and I stared at each other, and I heard Corin sigh. "If you two alpha males are done now, we could do something important like breaking out of this prison."

We just kept watching each other. I was pretty sure Asher and I were about to get into a fight when she breaks into a grin. "Sorry Malone, I had to know you were going to be able to hold your own when it was time to bust out." 

I was confused. What had just happened? "Oh, okay then." I was still confused, but we moved on.

Corin took up the discussion again, "Let's list the facts; we know that we have a bunk bed, a desk, two chairs, and a bathroom to use in our escape." I took the hint and started to write. 

Asher broke in, "Yeah, and we know that those two nurses come down here three times a day, and four on Sundays, for the laundry. If we could take those two out, I think it would shock the personnel so much we could slip out and make a more permanent plan." Corin nodded but I shook my head. 

"We can, I know we can, but you know those black plastic bracelets around their wrists?" They nod again. "I think those are like alert buttons, if something goes wrong down here, they can press those buttons and help will come running." 

Asher made an "oh" sound and sighed, "Well, I guess my plan is crap." 

"No, your plan is still the main concept," Corin began, "it just need to be refined, we're going to have to be sneaky. So here's what I'm thinking..." We knew what we had to do by the time the nurses brought us breakfast the next morning.