Part VIII

Jaime jumped up off the floor, "What do you mean you're 'taking this thing one step at a time'? Do you realize how much trouble you three are in? The police are putting up wanted posters with your faces on them!"

Asher didn't hesitate to jump right into his face, "Yeah, and less than 24 hours ago we were planning a jailbreak! Where were you? Lifting weights or in a yoga class? We came to you two because we didn't have anyone else. I don't need you yelling at us!"

They stared at each other until Jaime looked down suddenly, mumbling a sorry. Lance looked down awkwardly, too. Corin and I got up slowly, coming to stand next to Asher. After a few moments, Corin's voice broke the intense silence, "We need a plan, that's true, but we need some help coming up with one. I know we are all stressed out now, but we can't turn on each other. If we do, the cops will find us and this whole escape will be worthless. You two will go to jail and we'll get thrown back into that room. So let's figure this out."

We all looked at her, nodded, and then Lance asked what our objective was. I thought about that for a second, what did I want? I honestly didn't think we would get this far. I thought about why we were in this mess in the first place. Why were Blazes so special? I didn't think we would be thrown in a medical prison if it wasn't important. I decided I wanted to know why we didn't have Blazes and why not having them caused such a reaction. Corin and Asher decided that they wanted to know that, also. I remembered Daneel, the receptionist that didn't like our captivity, and mentioned we could try to get in touch with her. Maybe she would know why we were different. Asher's parents were lawyers so they had a ton of contacts all throughout the city, including the medical institute where we were held. Jaime said he could try to find her number and address in their office at home. Lance mentioned that Corin and I looked like homeless people in Asher's oversized clothes. So the first part of the plan was to get clothes that fit, which is what I wanted in the first place. Next step, arranging a meeting with Daneel, we all agreed that some information was better than no information. Next step after that, well, we didn't actually have one because we had no idea what we were going to learn from Daneel. Jaime and Lance seemed to understand that we were trying our best. We were just rolling with the punches being thrown at us.

Since shopping was the first step in our ever evolving plan, we all piled into Jaime's car and headed to the mall. Just kidding, we took a detour that involved grabbing Asher's makeup bag after we found out that Jaime left it at home. (She was not happy about that.) She said that she dabbled in makeup, and we found out that meant she was an expert at contouring, or rearranging our facial bone structure by highlighting and darkening our faces. (I didn't know that was a thing until she told me, so I wanted to make sure everyone knew what was going on.) She sent Lance into a drugstore to get some cheap makeup pallets for me and Corin. (Our skin tones will never be the same. Sad day.) Then she proceeded make us all look about seven years older than we actually were. It was pretty cool, with the new hair and the new faces I wouldn't be able to tell it was us, and I hoped the police couldn't either.

Lance thought it would be a good idea if we, being Corin, Asher, and I, went alone as to not raise any suspicions of Jaime and him, since they were hanging around three girls who halfway fit the description of escaped prisoners, and that might draw some unwanted attention towards them and us. I think that was Lance-speak for I want to go on a date with Jaime, but it was agreed upon (especially by Jaime) and we set off towards the mall. I thought being on the run from the law would be a little different than shopping and smoothies, but Asher said we were being brilliant. I had to agree, who would look for prison escapees in a mall full of people who could recognize them? Asher said we had free reign on what we wanted, her family could afford it. Lawyer parents are a blessing, I guess. Corin couldn't believe how expensive everything was, but picked out some clothes and shoes anyway. I asked if we should get some more inconspicuous clothing, but Asher said that if we were going to be on the lam, we were going to do it in style. I didn't argue because I, being a weak woman, had gotten distracted by a pair of shoes. We paid for everything in cash because we are not idiots. Only amateurs would lay a credit card trail. At least I can say CSI: Miami has taught me something.

Out of the mall we came, looking absolutely fabulous if I do say so myself. We headed to The Beauty, as Asher dubbed the little hole in the alley that she had pulled us into yesterday. I stopped and blinked. Wow, was it only yesterday? It felt like a million years ago. I guess that's what happens when your life takes a complete 180. Corin and Asher pulled out their phones to call in our backup, and we started the next step of our plan: arranging a long chat with Daneel the receptionist.