Part IX

When the boys got back to The Beauty (looking a little flushed, wink), we debated for a good hour about whether we should call Daneel, or just break into her house. Jaime had gotten everything you would ever need to contact her. He showed up with copies of her email and home address, and home and cell phone numbers. We didn't know if she would call the cops on us or not. We just didn't know how she would react. Would she freak out and call the police or help us?

We decided that breaking and entering was our best bet. We sent Jaime and Lance away, if things went downhill, we were already criminals, and I am not going to drag them down with us. She lived on the south side of town, where the houses were normal, not too big or falling apart. She actually lived two streets away from my house. I mean my old house, considering I was never going back there, because I just can't. My own mother let them drag me away. She had no idea what was going to happen to me, and yet she still just left.

I bet they've seen me on the news. Mom, Dad, Dustin, and Adelaide. I bet the only one that's worried is Dustin. The government probably paid my parents off. With my thoughts veering into a gutter of self-pity, I shook my head. I had a goal now; there wasn't time to worry about things that I couldn't change. After gathering our 'breaking and entering' kit, we quickly walked over to Daneel's house. After doing a quick scan of the house, it was determined that Daneel was at work, but wouldn't be for much longer. I hopped her back fence, and by hopped, I mean it took me three times to get a good foot hold and swing one leg over the other. Corin had similar problems, but Asher A.K.A. Miss Gymnastics Champion just jumped, caught the top of the fence, and swung her whole body over like it was a gymnastics beam. I just watched, shocked, but I heard Corin mutter "showoff" beside me. Despite the troubles the fence gave us getting over it, it ended up being really useful, as no one could see through the wood beams.

We walked from the fence to the back of the house. As we checked out the lock, Corin scoffed. "What?" I asked, thinking we were going to have to break a window. Corin just bent down, eye level with the lock, and pulled some small metal picks out of her pocket. I was shocked to find Corin could pick locks on doors, and asked if her parents would approve. She sighed and looked up from the doorknob; giving me a look that said is the only reason you're here to crack jokes that aren't funny? Asher seemed confused, too. "Where did you even get those?" Corin smiled matter-of-factly, "I keep them at Lance's, my parents would take them away." Asher chuckled, a little nervously, "Okay, I'm not even going to ask." Secretly, Asher and I looked and each other, having a conversation with our eyes. She squinted at me, did you know about her criminal tendencies? I responded. No! I have literally known her for less than two weeks! You should have known. We looked back at the house when Corin swung the door open. "Let's hurry. Her neighbors might be a little suspicious by now."

Her house was small, but clean and well-furnished. I could tell she loved to bake, because there was an overflowing cookie jar on the counter and an apron that was coated in several baking days' worth of flour. We all took a cookie from the jar and sat down on her plush couch. I pulled three softball bats out our 'breaking and entering' kit. We didn't think we were going to need them. I know none of us would ever hurt Daneel, but she didn't know that and we might have to threaten her. We just sat in the silence, we were all aware that this was the first time (in Corin's case, maybe not) that we had done anything illegal. After what could have been three hours or ten minutes of deep thought, we heard the door squeak open. Daneel was home.