Part V

We spend the week being extra nice to the nurses and picking up on the flaws in the system. The chinks in the armor of this building. On Monday we learned about the perfect way to escape, a garbage shoot at the end of the hallway. Yes, we were so desperate that we were going to use the garbage shoot. Keith, one of the nurses, let it slip that the black bracelets would automatically go off if they were in our room for more than five minutes. All of the little bits of information about the outside world were put to use, even the fact that Daneel, a receptionist, didn't agree with the office for doing this to us.

Our plan went into motion the following Sunday night, when Keith and the other nurse, Brody, came to pick up our laundry in the evening. I started a discussion with Keith right away while Corin did the same with Brody. We ever so lightly got closer to them, and then slammed our hands onto their bracelets. The effect was immediate. The alarms went off and we heard a group of people run down the stairs. When they came into view we could see that they were all armed to the teeth with tranquilizers. Asher and I were sitting in the chairs by the desk and Corin sat in my lap. We waited there innocently while Keith and Brody tried to explain how we did it and not them. Judging from the team's faces, they didn't succeed. The team reprimanded our nurses and left. Keith gave us the stink eye when we tried to apologize for the prank. Corin jumped up and gave Brody a hug, looking teary-eyed about getting them into so much trouble. Brody froze up and Asher hugged Keith in the same way. They started to relax when I grabbed Brody's arm and slapped his bracelet. The alarms sounded and the guards come running, only to find the same situation. The captain of the team blew up and stomped out of the room, yelling about nurses who cried wolf and wasting everyone's time.

The nurses were red in the face and yelled at us for a long time. Too long a time actually, because when the five minute mark rolled around, they were still shouting. Alarms went off, but for the first time, we didn't hear heavy footfalls on the concrete steps. I smiled an evil smile at Keith and Asher jumped onto his back. I swung Huckleberry Finn into the back of Brody's head and he went down like a bag of bricks. Asher and Corin were still struggling with Keith, but Asher had her arms around his neck and he was losing air fast. When he finally went down we grabbed our pillowcases, which we had filled with anything useful, and took off out the door and toward the garbage shoot.

We got to the garbage shoot and I gagged. Corin's eyes started to water as we lowered her into the metal box. I tried to give her some encouraging words, "Just think of it as a waterslide, it's going to be fun." It didn't help either of us. The alarms were still ringing and I heard footsteps in the stairwell. 

Asher grumbled, "Corin, I hate to rush you but please just go." 

"I'm sorry; I didn't realize I was taking too long for you." Corin snapped back. Corin slid down the shoot first and Asher followed. I was halfway inside when I heard shouting. I turned around and a dart zipped past my head. I leaped into the shoot with the grace of a drugged giraffe and slid down. Bits of trash and old food got caught in my hair and clothes. I'm going to need a five hour shower after this. I heard yelling and running above me, so we were going to need to get out of there fast. The shoot dumped me into a standard Dumpster. 

I heard Corin yelling for me, "Hurry, Malone, they're coming!" I scrambled out to the trash and we took off running down the street. 

"Okay, guys," I shout, "from here on out we don't have a plan. Where is the nearest safe haven?" 

It's quiet for a second, then Asher shouts back, "I have the perfect place guys, come on!" We suddenly take a sharp right turn and sprint toward an alley. I hear the police sirens behind us. 

"Asher, are you sure this is a good idea?" I hear her scoff over the sirens, "Of course I do. Just trust me!" Scared was not the right word to use when I saw a bullet fly past Corin's leg. More like terrified. She screamed and almost tripped but kept going. What had the doctor told the police about us? We ran into the alley, and Asher took a right and disappeared completely. Corin and I slammed on the brakes, we couldn't see her anywhere. A hand shot out from a hole I couldn't see and yanked me inside. I grabbed Corin's arm and we both tumbled through the opening. I looked up to see Asher grinning at me with a flashlight in her hands. 

"How did you know this was here?" I questioned her. Her grin got even wider, if that was possible. 

"My cousin and I used to go on the run from my parents. We found this little beauty when we were wandering around." I was too scared to think, but Corin just nodded. How was she so calm?

She looked around, "Are you sure they can't find us here?"

Asher answered. "Positive, chief. If my crazy folks can't, the police don't have a chance."

I decided to ask what we were all thinking. "What do we do now?"

Asher pulled out a dusty flip phone out of a box in the darkness. "We call my cousin." Corin and I just stared at her.