Part VII

The answer was no, no we can't. We walked behind Corin with our heads down to the abandoned part of town. I tucked my arms around my chest and tried not to think about how cold my wet, thick hair was making my back. The hair in question was a drab blonde, not golden, not corn yellow, just dirty blonde. It is so ugly. Corin motions for us to go around the back of an old warehouse. There's a yellow door that looks like it's needed a new coat of paint since the Industrial Revolution. 

She stops in front of the door, and does a complicated knock before banging on it hard with her fist. "I know you're in there, Lance!" 

The door swings open and a pale arm pulls Corin inside. The door slams behind her. Jaime, Asher, and I just look at each other. We never expected this to happen. We heard raised voices and I'm about to go pound down the door when Corin swings it open again. "Welcome to his humble abode!"

Lance is her uncle, I guess. Corin introduced us and we shook hands. When I asked his age he just laughed and told me that their family was a little weird. Also that he was 17. Okay, then. He was a tall guy too, though not as tall as Jaime. He looked like he could be Corin's brother, with the pale arms and silvery blue eyes. His hair was quite a bit different, though, as it was bright green. Jaime was going to shake hands with our newfound friend when he suddenly looked down and pulled his phone out of his pocket. He checked it and looked back up, "Sorry, I thought I had gotten a text."

Asher's eyes looked like they were about to pop out of her head. "Corin," she asks slowly, "where's Lance's Blaze?"

Lance just rubbed the back of his neck and avoided Jaime's eyes. Asher's question's meaning had suddenly dawned on Corin. She replied, "The back of his neck, right in the middle."

While the two boys were awkwardly shaking hands, Corin raced over and jumped onto Lance's back. He stumbled but regained his balance quickly. I was willing to bet that happened more than either of them would like to admit. She yanked the collar of his shirt down and gasped. "Lance, I knew you were lying to me about your favorite color!"

Who was Lance's soulmate? It could be me, Jaime, or Asher. The only way to know is to have one person at a time come into the room with him and have Corin watch to see when his Blaze changed colors. I highly doubt it will be me or Asher, something tells me that Blazes are a two way system, but it's worth a try.

Asher gives me a knowing look and walks into the room but nothing happens. I'm about to go when Jaime speaks up, "It's me, my Blaze is on my thigh, right where the pocket you put your phone is. I never have my phone on vibrate anyway."

He sighs, "So you can quit with that stupid face now, Asher."

She just smiles, "Go get 'em, tiger."

He rolls his eyes and walks into the room. I have a feeling both Lance and Jaime knew it was Jaime, but whatever, however they needed it to happen is fine.

When Asher and I walked into the room, they were both smiling and blushing, so I took that to be a good sign. Corin gives us a not-so-subtle thumbs-up. After that exciting moment, Lance took us back into a room that was his "salon." That title might have been a bit of a stretch. There was a chair, a dirty mirror, and a shelf with some hair color on it. I did not trust this guy with the scissors he was holding. After seeing the disbelief on Asher's face and the worry on mine, Corin rolled her eyes. "I'll go first, I guess."

He was fast, and Corin quickly went from a bob to a pixie cut. It looked good, too, and I felt bad for judging him earlier. Jaime had to go make a phone call, Asher had said her parents were really strict, so I assumed it was to them. Lance heard Corin sigh and said, "I know you wanted to get one anyway, it looks good, really." She sighed again, "I know, you always do a good job, but you still have to dye it."