Chapter 4

I don’t think I’ve ever seen them perform live, not as Pierce the Veil at least. I left before they became Pierce the Veil, and although I couldn’t stand seeing Mike I kept in contact with Vic, until I messed things up between us.

“Aren’t you going to watch them?” Kellin asks as he’s leaving the green room I’m currently holed up in.

“Nah,” I shake my head, “I can hear them from here, plus I need a break.”

Kellin gives me a nod before leaving me alone in the green room, and it’s the next sounds that make every single piece of my heart shatter. It goes completely silent before the sweet sound of an acoustic guitar cuts through the silence and before Vic can say his normal speech, the one I know he always says I can feel the tears pricking at my eyes.

“Where you honest when you said I could never leave your bed? Wake me up and let me know you’re alive.” I can hear Vic’s voice from behind the door, and I can tell he’s in so much pain. I take a deep breath and slowly let myself in not wanting to disturb him. The song he’s working on, it was meant to be for me, as a way to tell my story but now it’s part of his story too.

I stop when at the entrance of his room, his back is to me and I can’t help but to feel a bit of pain rush to my chest as I look at him. He reminds me so much of his brother, and I don’t want to think of Mike, because I still love him, and I don’t want to feel this way every time I see Vic. He stops suddenly and for the first time I notice he’s in tears.

“Why?” he asks me with so much despair and hurt in his voice, “Why does it hurt so much? How did you cope with this pain?”

I want to lie to him, tell him it’s going to get better, but I don’t think I can do that to him, I can’t lie to Vic. I feel the tears start to fall and I begin to shake, because I want to lie to him, make him feel better, but the pain is still there, and I don’t know what I can say to make him feel better.

“I don’t know, Vic.” I say as I wrap my arms around myself. “It’s still there, the pain is still there. I can’t tell you that it’s easy, because it’s not. I don’t know how to get rid of the pain; I just know how to distract myself.”

“What are you doing here?” a cold voice snaps me out of my reverie. I find myself searching for the source of the voice and I am met with another pair of familiar brown eyes that suddenly grow surprised, most likely because they weren’t expecting to see me in tears.

“What the hell is wrong with you?” Another voice snaps, and I realize that he’s the only one I haven’t met, the one with the crazy hair and personality. Jaime, I think his name is, looks at Tony in shock. I don’t blame him, he’s supposed to be the quiet and shy one, and here he is talking to me in that tone.

I quickly wipe the tears away from my face, I’m not ready to handle seeing Tony again too, since he knows what I did to Vic, he was there after it happened, and he probably hates me because I know how Vic would react afterwards yet I couldn’t stay, and that made things worse. Tony hates me for what I did to Vic and I don’t blame him.

“I was just leaving.” I stand up and begin taking steps towards the doors hoping that my body wouldn’t give up on me, that I wouldn’t just fall to the ground in tears, because this whole day has been too much for me to handle. Too many familiar faces I never thought I would see again are reappearing and my body is ready to completely shut down.

“That’s what your good at isn’t it?” he snaps at me with his cold tone, making me stop in front of him. “You think you can just leave and you’ll never have to face your problems again. That’s not how life works.”