4: Barbecue & Bad Friends

~Wooo! Chapter 4 is here already. Daily updates lately, can we keep it up??? LET'S GET 8 VOTES AND 6 COMMENTS!!! 🙌👌🙌👍 (Spoiler alert: Kenzie meets Katherine this chapter) 😲😱

Chapter Four

I was sitting in the Grill alone, reading the book Damon gave me on Katherine. I was alone surprisingly. Or at least I was. Damon out of nowhere sat a the seat across from me. "What do you want?" I sighed. I guess thinking he'd avoid me was false hope.

"So this is where you spend your time when you're not stabbing people in the back," he said.

"I tricked you into telling me the truth. That's not stabbing you in the back. That's using your own tactics against you," I replied, shutting the book and shoving into my bag. It was time to go now.

"Where are you going?"

"I made myself clear, Damon. I want nothing to do with you," I stated. I got up to leave and barely had taken one step away from the table.

"Okay. See you at Jenna's barbecue."

I stopped and turned back around. "How did you know about Jenna's barbecue?"

"It was my idea. Jenna went to high school with Mason Lockwood. So I figured a social gathering would be a good way to get to know the guy. So I told Ric to tell Jenna and-"

"Does Jenna know you're gonna be there? Because she's not exactly a fan of yours."

A worker came over and placed a box in front of Damon. "Perfect. Thank you," Damon called out to her as she walked off. "I'm hoping this peach cobbler will pave the way." He then stood up, ready to walk past me.

"What are you up to?"

He leaned in close to my ear. "I'm gonna put some silver into Mason Lockwood and prove he's a werewolf," Damon stated. "See you at the barbecue."

I was frozen for a moment before following after him to also leave the Grill. I hopped in the car and pulled out my phone, texting Stefan. "Jenna is having a barbecue. Can you make it?" I asked him and put my phone to side, driving home.

***

I was in the kitchen with Jenna and Elena. I was looking at my phone, realizing Stefan hadn't got back to me. I decided to call him while Elena poured chips into a bowl and Jenna was setting the table. Ric was out back, starting the Grill. "Thanks for letting me invite Caroline. She could use a day of distraction," Elena was saying.

Stefan's phone went to voicemail and I frowned, hanging up only to dial his number once more. "Well, she's not the plus-one I'm worried about," Jenna said coming over to us. "Why is Damon coming?"

"Because Alaric is a pity-taker. Come on, Jenna, be nice," I told her, ignoring the ringing in my ear from the phone calling.

"I'll be nice when Damon learns to keep his paws off of you," she retorted. My mouth fell into an 'o' and I nodded, adverting my gaze. Once more Stefan's phone went to voicemail. I hung up, deciding to leave him alone. Hopefully he was okay. I'll try again in a bit.

"Aha, good news, found the shot glasses," Mason said, coming into the room.

"That would be our exit," I said, shoving my phone in my pocket and leaving the room with Elena, only after grabbing a bowl of my favorite chips.

"I'm here 10 minutes and I'm back under the bleachers at the pep rally," Jenna was laughing was left the kitchen. At least she was happy. Elena and I moved to the living room to wait for Caroline to come over to join us. The doorbell went off and Elena got up to answer it.