T h i r t e e n

Maya's POV
I don't understand how terrible things can happen to good people. Did I do something to deserve this? I don't know how to handle this. I don't know what to do. I don't want to feel this way, but someone I cared very deeply for just died. Is this a dream? More like a nightmare. I hear Riley's voice in the background but I can't hear what she's saying. I'm just blank. I just feel...empty.

Riley's POV

"Maya? Do you need anything?"

She just looks spaced out.

"Maya? I'm talking to you..."

Still no answer. I grabbed her hand.

"I'm here. Ok? I just want you to know that."

I grabbed Maya's hand but it was like she was paralyzed. She wouldn't move. She would just...blink.

I'm trying to stay strong for her. But it's hard. Lucas was one of my best friends and to hear that he has passed away is heart breaking. It kills me to see Maya like this. I know she is hurting. I just don't know what to do.

"Maya?"

Maya is still spaced out.

"Maya please just look at me? I-I know that you are sad and confused, I am too. But this is not good for your child...Maya do you hear me? I'm called out to you! I need you too! I'm hurting too!"

Tears fell down my face. And that moment Maya looked up at me.

"Riley? I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" She sobbed into my arms

"Shhhh, I know. It's ok, It's ok."

"Im sorry..."