04.

FOUR ; A FOOL'S DECISION 

     "Okay, Evan, deep breaths, calm down... and don't panic."

     With her heart beating at a dangerous pace and her blood audibly rushing between her ears, Evanna sprinted out of the room, trying to erase the image of the hanging bodies that was seemingly imprinted in her brain.

     Her hands were trembling and sweaty as she racked her brain to come up with a decent distraction for the umpteenth time. This sensation was unfamiliar to her. Her thoughts were so jumbled, adrenaline pumping through her veins, she couldn't think.

     Usually, Evan was always the calm and collected one, calming Janson down if he had another one of his 'moments' where he would bark at everyone and everything. But now, her mind was, for lack of better term, empty. Empty except for the vivid images of what she had just witnessed.

     The limit of time and the overwhelming need to fix what she had done wrong led to Evan being completely at loss as to what to do. She wanted, needed, to help Thomas. To help his friends out of this place, but she couldn't think of how to do so. At least, not with WICKED finding out that she had helped them.

     It was almost as though something was trying to gnaw its way out of her, trying to make itself present, but it never came to the surface. It stayed in the depths of her mind, and no matter how hard she tried, it just wouldn't make itself known.

     Convinced that this undiscovered thought was the perfect plan, Evan decided to throw all else out the window and focus on that. For now, however, she would have to improvise. She could mull over the 'perfect plan' later when she had gotten everyone out.

     Everything had gone heck to hand basket in a matter of seconds, and perhaps her lack of ideas had to do with the fact that she was still trying to process that the people she had been living with for the past how many years were nothing but liars. Now more than ever, Evan was determined to go against any and all orders WICKED gave her. And she had a feeling it had to do with the revelation from earlier. No, she was quite certain it had to do with that.

     Finding out who they truly were, what WICKED was really doing to all those kids, seemed to have awoken a sleeping determination inside the girl, now fueled by anger but also disbelief. And part of the sudden burst of hatred towards WICKED was because they involved her.

     She was to blame as much as the next person despite the fact she had been absolutely and totally clueless about it all. And just for that, she would never forgive them. They made her the bad guy, and even Evan didn't know how to talk her way out of that one.

     Sliding to a stop, Evan cursed under her breath and spun around, hiding behind the corner she had come from seconds earlier. She squeezed her eyes shut and willed herself to calm down, clasping a hand over her gasping mouth as two guards stormed past her, oblivious to her presence. Evan opened one eye and followed them with her eyes, furrowing her brows as she watched them meet up with five more, joined by two doctors holding platters with syringes displayed on them.

     Her eyes widened as she saw Janson join the group, a scowl on his face as he pointed in an direction before striding towards wherever he was going. She watched helplessly as the other men and women followed silently, undoubtedly wondering what had gotten Janson in such a bad mood.

     A muffled groan escaped Evan as she drew a blank, still not knowing how to prevent Janson from going inside and seeing Thomas and his friends trying to escape. Her teeth sank into her bottom lip and another curse fell from her lips before she shook her head and pushed away from the wall, sprinting towards the group and Janson.