17.

SEVENTEEN ; WITH A HEAVY HEART

     There was a sharp sting in her chest and she jolted up, gasping for breath. Her eyes were dry, lips chapped. Evan felt awful, the worst she had felt in years. A nasty aftertaste was stuck in her throat and she had no idea where she was.

     The room was dimly lit, with a few ragged rugs here and there. Tattered curtains hung from the murky windows and an odd smell hung in the air; metal and earth. It sent a shiver down her spine. There were muffled noises, though a faint ringing in her ears blocked her ability to focus.

     A hand placed itself on her shoulder. It pushed her back down. Evan glanced up through her eyelashes, surprised to find Brenda staring down at her with a small smile on her lips. Worry was evident in her eyes, but then Evan returned the gesture and the brunette girl seemed to sigh in relief.

     Evan's back ached from the position she was in. She had little to no clue what had happened to her but what she did know was that she had gotten herself hurt. Again. She almost laughed at herself for being so utterly incompetent.

     Brenda noticed Evanna's uncomfortable position and she helped her sit up, chuckling when Evan winced a little. "Careful. You fell on your side pretty hard."

     "I fell?" Evan frowned. Her voice was hoarse and raspy to the point where it wasn't attractive and she wondered how she got it.

     Brenda nodded. "Yeah, after we split up at that club. Thomas and I lost you and then I found you on the ground. You looked like you were having a seizure."

     The words Brenda said should have had a bigger impact on Evan. It should concern her and have her ask a million questions about why she was on the ground. But the only thing that registered was Thomas, and then she tuned out. Her body flushed and she felt embarrassed all over again.

     A kiss flashed across her mind. Evan gulped visibly and ignored Brenda's inquisitive gaze. Evanna felt stupid, foolish, and every other possible synonym for the word. Not to mention all other words affiliated with 'idiot'. She felt ridiculous.

     " – that you talk, you son of a bitch!" a voice exclaimed, followed by a smack.

     Evan turned away from Brenda and saw Jorge and a man bound to a chair, as well as all the others from the group. Frypan and Teresa smiled at the blonde and Newt gave her a small wave. Minho merely nodded. But then her eyes locked with Thomas and she wanted the ground to break open and swallow her whole.

     Teresa had a hand on his chest, and Thomas was holding onto it tightly. They sat in a leaned in position and if a stranger walked in now, they would never guess that Thomas did not like Teresa as he claimed.

     Nothing could explain the amount of absolute embarrassment she felt. Evan was certain her face was a hot red, and her hands clammy. So she quickly looked away and to the ground. It was interesting enough, she supposed. Her gaze traveled to her wrist and her eyes widened a little when she saw the gauze had been replaced with a new one.

     Brenda seemed to have noticed. "I put a fresh bandage on it. The other one was dusty and foul from our run-in with the Cranks. I hope you don't mind."

     Evan shook her head and bit her lip. "Did it look..." she trailed off, not knowing how to continue.

     "Better?" Brenda offered and Evan shrugged. It was as good an attempt as any. "Not really. How did you get it?"

     Her posture tensed then. Evan struggled to keep her expression stoic, to not let anyone else in. "Same as you."

     Brenda left it at that, her attention caught by strange markings on Evanna's neck. They ran down her skin and disappeared into her shirt. "I've been meaning to ask you," she started, gently tapping the marks. "what are these lines on your neck?"