21.

TWENTY-ONE ;  FIVE SECONDS OF HEAVEN

     It didn't take Jorge a lot of convincing. With only three words he had Evanna back at the tent. With only three words, he had given her more than he probably realized, and she was more grateful than he knew.

     They sat in front of the tent, leaning against a broken truck. Evan could practically feel Jorge's nerves and anxiety. The older man kept fidgeting, shifting from foot to foot. It made her smile, to see a man like Jorge be as nervous as he was for someone who wasn't even related to him.

     Though she supposed that in a world like this, everyone – didn't matter if they were family or not – made a difference in someone else's life. Evan glanced at Jorge from the corner of her eye, and chuckled when he ran a hand through his hair and scratched his jaw. He looked at her.

     "What?"

     "She's going to be okay, Jorge," Evanna said, holding back the 'I promise' at the end that she had misused too many times by now. Even if she had a feeling that Brenda would be okay, she wasn't about to promise him something that could ruin him if it were broken.

     Jorge merely nodded and let out a sigh.

     A few minutes later, and the flaps of the tent were flung to the side. Evan felt her throat close up as Thomas stepped out, a frown on his face. He didn't look troubled, though. It was more an expression of realization, one he probably felt foolish for not having figured out sooner.

     He stopped abruptly when he saw Evan and Jorge, surprised that both of them were still there. Jorge wasted no time in stepping forward and pulling Thomas into a tight embrace, clapping him on the back unintentionally harsh. Evan smiled at the way Thomas winced. He looked taken aback, both by her smile and Jorge's sudden display of affection.

     Jorge pulled away, shaking his head slowly. "If anything would've happened to her, I..."

     "I know, I know," Thomas said as Jorge trailed off. He placed his hand on his shoulder and gestured at the tent. "Why don't you go in there? Go talk to her."

     Nodding again, Jorge clapped Thomas' shoulder and moved past him. Then he stopped and turned around. "I guess I owe you, now," Thomas didn't reply. Jorge averted his gaze to Evan and smiled lightly. "See you in a bit?"

     She inclined her head. "See you in a bit."

     He disappeared in the tent shortly after. Evan let out a deep breath and clasped her hands together. She saw Thomas' eyes fall to her wrist. She swore she could see the corners of his lips quirked up a little.

     "Hi," he said softly.

     "Hey."

     He bit his bottom lip. "Are you okay? You know, after...?"

     Evanna nodded. "Took me by surprise at first, but... I'm much better now. Still trying to wrap my head around it, though."

     "Yeah," Thomas breathed out a chuckle. "I know the feeling."

     She knew that the moment they both fell silent that she had to talk to him about everything. She realized it was the perfect opportunity to tell him she was sorry (although for what, she wasn't sure). She wanted to tell him that things would be different now.

     But she didn't. She couldn't. Only this time there was no real reason why she couldn't. And so she settled with fear. Yes, Evan was afraid of Thomas telling her he didn't want to try anymore, that he was tired of trying and going back and forth. She was afraid of rejection and it almost made her laugh.