15.

FIFTEEN ; WALKING AFTER MIDNIGHT

     Evan was shivering in her cardigan. The holes in her sleeves didn't exactly help either. The sun had long set and she was mentally cursing herself for not having chosen a jacket or sweater that were not ripped or shredded.

     She hadn't been wherever she was for long, but it felt like a little over a day. The only thing that helped her was watching the moon shift. It helped her keep track of time. Evan tried pushing away the hunger, but her stomach grumbled as though a rabid animal was trapped inside.

     She wondered how the others were doing. If they were having luck with escaping. If they would come back for her. Evanna let out a deep breath, because she realized even she wouldn't come back for herself at this point. She had already betrayed someone once, who says she won't do it again?

     Evanna was certain this was their mindset. Thomas and Newt and all the others must be convinced that she would radio in their position and rat them out. Betray them, just like she had done with WICKED.

     The worst part of being in a cell alone, was the never-ending time to overthink and over-analyze. Evan didn't want to anymore. She wanted to stop thinking altogether if it meant she wouldn't have to hurt anymore. She was starting to look into things too much. She was finding pieces in conversations that were probably never meant the way she interpreted them.

     Her head was aching. It felt like her brain was pushing against her skull and she wanted it to stop. Her wrist had calmed down a bit, perhaps the pain was dulled because of the pounding in her head.

     There was loud chatter directly above her. It should have annoyed Evan, but in truth, she was grateful for the noises that broke her train of thought. They were too agonizing and too pitiful. She needed to stop feeling sorry for herself.

     Evan knew this, but no matter how much she tried working on it, something would always pull her back. Whether it was betraying someone she had once viewed as a father, or failing Winston, there was always something that made Evanna feel as though she had the weight of the world on her shoulders.

     Heaving out a deep breath, Evan mentally scolded herself. Because moping around and waiting for others to come save her was getting her nowhere and it was high time she took things in her own hands again. Evanna realized she had become very reliant on the others and she was going to change that immediately.

     Pushing herself up from the cold ground, she began searching the cell for anything sharp she could pick the door with. Evan felt her clothing to see if she had any unknown pins or small pieces of steel in her pockets. There was nothing, on the ground or in her clothing.

     Evan felt her mood deflate and she leaned against the wall again. She frowned when something dug into her back. A single screw stuck out of the wall. The girl muttered a 'bingo' under her breath and began turning the metal, hoping it would give loose. The material around the screw, the wall, started to crumble ever so slightly the more Evanna turned and pulled.

     The screw fell to the floor with a barely there clang and Evan was quick to pick it up and stuff it in her pocket. Even if the noise was almost inaudible, her paranoia got the better of her. Better to be safe than sorry, she told herself in hopes that it would push away the foolishness she felt for freaking out so easily.

     Counting to five, Evan waited until she was sure nobody had heard it. They had probably all forgotten she was down there, too busy celebrating whatever it is they were laughing and drinking for. Evanna almost scoffed at their blithe attitude. Then again, they were most likely making the most of the few days they had left.