S i x

Chapter 6:

Lexi wakes up in a pant of muffled cries that night.

She hasn't had a nightmare since she's been at college.

They used to be frequent for her, sometimes unable to sleep at all because of them. She stopped having them a couple of months ago but tonight, they're back.

Images of her parents dying brutally flash through her mind every time she closed her eyes, so she gives up sleeping all together that night. It's odd because she never actually saw the way they died, but simply arrived at the scene too late when they were wrapped up in body bags.

She gathers that the nightmares have begun again because of the conversation with Caleb. It must've triggered those awful memories inside her head and crept up on her whilst vulnerably asleep. But she couldn't afford to lose sleep especially when she had classes to go to.

Lexi notes the time is 5am and that there's no way she'd be able to get a couple hours of sleep before her class at 8, so she just leaves her dorm room and goes into the communal kitchen to make herself something to eat, not bothering to fix her appearance- who would be awake at this hour anyway?

Scott apparently.

"Scott?" Lexi whispers, trying not to wake up the others.

"Lexiiiiii! Sup." He exclaims, clearly drunk and not bothering to have the same consideration for his dorm mates as Lexi.

"Shhh, did you just get in?" She whisper yells at him, helping him to the sofa because despite his energetic replies, he looks as if he's going to pass out any minute now.

He smirks lazily. "Maybe. Did you just get in too?" He asks frowning, knowing that Lexi isn't much of a party girl to be out all night only to get home at this ridiculous hour. Clearly Scott is known for going out and partying this late as is shown in the evidence of his breath smelling disgustingly like alcohol.

"No, I just couldn't sleep." She whispers, taking his shoes off for him and his jacket.

"Okay, if that's your excuse for wanting to sleep with me Lex, then just come out with it. I'm not great at reading people you know." He says smirking again.

"Shut up, you idiot. I'm helping you be more comfortable for when you pass out on the sofa in a minute and don't wake up until next semester." She says before gesturing him to lay down on the sofa and he complies.

"Why can't you sleep?" He asks in curiosity, but the fatigue is evident in his voice

"Just my patient. He's...scary." She admits.

"This is why I'm faking mine. Why the hell would I want to be in the same room as a psycho. I've got enough psycho girls after me anyway. God, I didn't ask to be this good looking you know."

Lexi laughs at his ability to be mind numbingly drunk and still be the ass that he is. And he's about to pass out any second.

"Well some of us actually came to college to get a degree and not to get shit faced drunk almost every night."

"You wish you were as cool as me." Scott mumbles, drooping his eyes a little, yawning.

"That's right pal." Lexi pats his chest and throws a small blanket that barely covers his body. "Now get some sleep, I'll tell professor Collins that you're incredibly sick with food poisoning."

"Mmm'kay." He mutters, eyes fully closed now. "Lex, one more thing."

"Yes?"

Opening one eye and smirking a tired smirk. "You look awful."