F o u r t e e n

Chapter 14:

Sneaking into the sanatorium at night was a lot easier than Lexi had expected it to be. She couldn't make it for 8pm the following night because she fell asleep, so instead, she got there at 10pm. She debated whether it was safe for her to go so late, but she was determined to get answers.

The night porter didn't even care when Lexi walks past him, looking as if he was about to fall asleep any second. And no receptionists were in sight.

Lexi easily found her way back to the same op room where she had seen Caleb earlier and is confused when she finds it empty.

She wonders into the room further, frowning at all the equipment in the room. Most of it didn't look like typical operational equipment. There was a machine with a wooden outer shell next to the operating table that looked much too old to be a heart or blood pressure monitor. Instead it had voltage numbers on it and Lexi frowns.

She didn't have enough time to dwell on it though as Caleb stumbles into the room, panting breathless as he shivers slightly. Lexi's eyes widen and she's instantly by his side, throwing one of his arms around her shoulder and helping him to the operating bed.

He's shirtless again, sweating excessively and Lexi grows more and more worried by the second

He's shirtless again, sweating excessively and Lexi grows more and more worried by the second. "Caleb. Are you alright?" She asks, not knowing what else to say once he's sat on the bed, clutching his side.

He snaps his head up at her and glares and he breathes through his teeth. "Does it look like I'm fucking alright Alexa?"

Lexi immediately lets go of his torso and Caleb's arms falls from around her shoulder to his lap which is thankfully clad in sweatpants. "I guess the ability to use sarcasm is a sign of good health." She mutters, looking down at her fiddling fingers.

"You're late." He says, still breathing heavily.

"I'm here aren't I?" She snaps at him as he raises an eyebrow at her. "Look, I don't know what the hell is going on here but I want answers. Starting with what the hell just happened to you?"

Caleb narrows his eyes, laying down on the bed properly as he's unable to keep his body up much longer. "I was tortured."

Lexi gasps. "What? First someone poisons you, then they torture you? How? And why?"

"With electricity." Caleb says with an involuntary shiver running through his body, reliving the last few hours in his mind. "As for the why..." He trails off, looking at the wall in deep concentration. "...I have no idea."

It takes her three tries to come up with her next question, opening a closing her mouth multiple times. "W-who was it?" She asks cautiously, not wanting to know the answer.