Chapter 12

First Year

"A mutt?" Brad sneered.

Eleven year old Lauren's eyes widened. "She- she's not a dog,"

"That's not what he means," James said, wiping the dirt off his broom. "A mutt is a half-Muggle, half-wizard. Like a mudblood, only worse,"

"K-Keana's a half-blood," Lauren mumbled.

"She's different," James shook his head. "Keana's a Gryffindor and hot, she doesn't count,"

"Oh..." Lauren had an uneasy feeling in her stomach.

__

"Where were you?" Brad asked as Lauren walked into the common room. Lauren froze, terrified.

"Nowhere," she said quietly, trying to slip into her dorm room.

"Twenty sickles she was with the mutt," Austin sniggered.

"I was apologizing,"

"Apologizing for what?" James raised an eyebrow. "For us telling her the truth? That she's a no-good mutt?"

Lauren pursed her lips. She regretted going out to meet Camila if it meant that her housemates would treat her like this.

"Why would you apologize for what we did?" Brad questioned. "Are you ashamed of us? Embarrased?"

"We're your house, Lauren," James tilted his head. "We're only doing what's best for you. A mutt is only going to tarnish your purity, especially if they're a Slyth,"

"Oh," Lauren mumbled. She felt nauseated.

James put a hand on Lauren's shoulder, looking at the eleven year old in the eyes. "We're older. We know what's best for newbies like you. That girl is a disgrace to the wizarding community. This is for your own good,"

__

"What do you think about blood purity?" Lauren asked the kids in her year the next morning.

Calum shrugged. "Important, I guess,"

"How so?" Ally asked.

"We're descendants from the original wizarding families. They're like noble houses or something," Ashton explained. "It's like a rare, dying breed,"

"So what do you think of half bloods?" Lauren asked curiously, wondering if their answers would be the same of those on the quidditch team.

"Impartial," Calum shrugged again. He was focused on his breakfast.

Ashton thought for a moment. "My mom says they just make purebloods so much more important, because of how we have the pure wizard blood instead of mixed. The McVey's would disagree though,"

"You know them?" Lauren asked.

"Our moms are friends, but they take it to the extreme,"

"Lots of people in the house do," Ally said. "A lot of tension between half bloods and purebloods,"

"I understand it," Ashton shrugged. "Like, our blood is sacred, and when it's mixed with Muggle blood that diminishes the sacredness,"