Arrival and Departure

Chapter Two

(Arrival and Departure)

Drew sat on the pew bench in the church sanctuary. He could here hisses just outside the window. The once beautiful stained glass windows were now boarded over as they tried to keep out creatures loyal to the vampires from trying to break in and drag them out. A vampire wouldn’t enter a church sanctuary but that wouldn’t stop a creature under a vampires control from entering.

Drew walked cautiously through the dark as he, his mother, and their group tried to head for safety. They’d been forced to flee the church when the vampires got smart and began a fire on the outside setting the building a blaze. It was run and chance being captured or burn up in the fire.

It hadn’t been easy but they’d managed to get past only losing one person to the vile creatures. But now they were I the open and needed to find somewhere to hide. If they didn’t there would be nothing for Drew’s father and those coming with him to find.

“What are we going to do? What do we do? Where do we go? What…”

Jack turned and reaching forward grabbed the girl harshly by her shirt and pulled her forward before getting into the frightened girls face. “Shut up and be quiet before you give us away, Macey,!” He said in a lowered harsh tone. Releasing her he turned back forward and continued to walk.

Jack started to walk out from a building and quickly stopped and stepped back out of view. “Vamps both sides,” He said not hiding his concern.

“How many are there?” Ben asked his green eyes full of concern. If there were only a couple he knew he and Jack could handle them. Any more though and there wasn’t enough weapons. Chances were high they’d lose someone.

“”Three left, four right,” Jack replied with a frown.

“Shit!” Ben cursed. “We don’t have enough weapons between us.”

Jack scanned the area. “Not my favorite place but if we can get hunkered down in the basement we might be able to hold them off till morning.”

“It’s our best option,” Ben agreed. “let’s go.”

The group crossed the roadway and quickly approached the building. Hearing a screech they looked over to see three vampires in the distance. “Run!” Jack ordered and they ran into the building. “Downstairs quick!”

The group ran down the stairs into the basement. They crossed a small open area and entered through a set of double doors. Ben and Jack quickly closed the doors and began to barricade them. With any luck they could hold off till morning.

*

It was daylight as Edward drove a white Suburban into the outskirts of town. A frown graced the man’s face as he saw damaged buildings and cars. There was evidence of fires.

“This doesn’t look good,” Beverly said as her green eyes scanned the area outside her window.

“Looks like a war zone,” Raven commented barely above a whisper.

Nikita didn’t comment but did agree with the girl. As they got further into town the damage increased and the site of dead bodies began. The blonde woman barely glanced out of the corner of her left eye but it was enough to notice Edward was concerned.

“I assume you have directions to the church,” Nikita said calmly.

“I know where it is,” he said and turned down another street. “There’s been no contact for two days.” Nikita only nodded.

“I hope that’s not where we’re headed,” Beverly said and pointed down the roadway. Ravens mouth fell open at what was once a church. Edward swallowed hard but continued on until he pulled up to the church. Nikita got out wasting no time.