Hope and Difficulty Part 6

It was just after 7p.m. when Raven cautiously entered a small training room that sat apart from the others. A message had been sent to her to meet someone but she didn't know who'd sent it. Not knowing made her feel very uncomfortable. Raven was not a popular slayer and she was even aware some wanted her gone. She was fully aware the meeting could be a set up.

Her blue eyes scanned the area as she slowly opened the door on the back side of the shed. Her eyes scanned the room and she found no light and nothing to indicate anyone was there. Her mind screamed warning but her need to know forced her to step inside. She scanned the floor and taking out a flash light she looked the ground over for wires or any sign of a trap.

Finding nothing she began to slowly relax. Hearing a bare movement however she whirled around and without thinking struck out.

"Whoa easy Raven," Sean said as Jack caught the girl's arm and stopped her knife.

"I'm sorry I..."

"It's okay," Jack assured the scared girl.

"I was told to meet someone here and..."

Sean smiled at her. "I sent you the message," the blonde man informed her.

"You did? Why?" She asked clearly confused.

"Because you need help but we want to keep everyone else from knowing you're getting it," Jack said releasing her. "Come on."

Raven didn't know Jack but she did know enough about both men to know they weren't the type of slayers to lure a young recruit into false hope. She also knew from watching Nikita interact with them that Nikita liked them. Without any idea what might await her she went with them.

"This way," Sean told her and began leading her into the woods and away from the compound.

"I thought I wasn't allowed off the campus after 6 unless it was a night training mission," Raven said feeling uneasy about where they were headed.

"Normally no, but you're with us," Jack assured her. Raven didn't argue and walked through the woods with the two senior slayers until they came to a small abandoned log mill.

"When is the last time this was used?" Raven asked as they entered the structure. It was dark and there was only a very dim light that revealed the inside was dusty, dirty, and appeared to have not been used in many years.

"The log mill closed down many years ago," Sean replied. "It'll serve as a very good place for you to practice." Sean opened up a rolled up piece of fabric to reveal several knives hidden inside of it. "The target is over there," he said gesturing to the far side of the open work room.

Raven followed his gaze but was immediately concerned. "I've never thrown anything that far before," she told them.

"Don't worry about it," Jack told her. "It's okay if you miss every throw."

"It is?" Raven asked. "Everyone always yells at me."

Jack shrugged and said, "We aren't everyone." He watched as a smile crossed her face before she nodded. "Alright let's see how you do."

Over the next two hours Raven threw both knives and stakes. The first hour she missed nearly every single time. As the second hour approached however she began to hit things more often. Once the second hour had passed she was hitting nearly everything.

"Good job," Sean praised as she threw her final stake.

"Thanks," Raven replied. "I still can't believe how much better I'm doing now."