➳ 30 // Afraid

chapter song: Afraid by The Neighbourhood

"Keep on dreaming, don't stop breathing, fight those demons"

➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳

#Daryl's POV#

Morning came quickly and as quickly as it came we all gathered around the same car we did yesterday to further discuss the plan for the search that was occurring today. I was next to the hood where the others were gathering around putting on a light shirt on top of my tank top.

"All right, everyone's getting new search grids today. If she made it as far as the farmhouse Daryl found, she might have gone further east than we've been so far" Rick spoke pointing at the map on top of the hood.

"I'd like to help" the teenage boy spoke coming towards Rick making me look at him like he was crazy "I know the area pretty well and stuff"

"Hershel's okay with this?" Rick asked the kid as he just said the old man was okay, I called bullshit but as always decided to stay quiet and just see where they were going with the plan.

"Nothing about what Daryl found screams Sophia to me" Shane spoke from inside the car making me stare at him as I was buttoning up the shirt "anyone could have been holed up in that farmhouse"

"Anybody includes her, right?" Andrea asked

"Whoever slept in that cupboard was no bigger than yay-high" I said calmly recalling what I saw last night

"It's a good lead" Andrea said

"Maybe we'll pick up her trail again" Rick nodded his head

"No maybe about it. I'm gonna borrow a horse" I pointed on the map " head up to this ridge right here, take a bird's-eye view of the whole grid. If she's up there, I'll spot her"

The others were looking at the map and then at me and I saw Dale by my right placing the bag that had the guns on top of the hood.

"Good idea" T-Dog said looking at me "maybe you'll see your chupacabra up there too"

"Chupacabra?" Rick asked confused making me take a deep breath knowing they were gonna start saying shit about the story I had told them.

"You never heard this?" Dale started as he opened the bag of guns and took some out "our first night in camp, Daryl tells us that the whole thing reminds him of a time when he went squirrel hunting and he saw a chupacabra. Ana actually never shuts up about this story"

"What are you brayin' at, jackass?" I asked getting defensive as I saw the kid laughing

"You believe in a blood-sucking dog?" Rick asked me

"Do you believe dead people walking around?"

The kid then tried to grab the gun that was laying on top of the hood only to be stopped by Rick who took it from his hand asking if he had ever fired one before.

"Well, if I'm going out, I want one" the kid almost whined to Rick

"Yeah, and people in hell want slurpees" I answered back placing the crossbow on my back and walking away from the car heading towards he stables.

But before I actually went inside the stables I looked to the house and my feet betrayed me as I started to go inside. I only realized I was walking towards the room Ana was in when I was by the door, debating wether to go talk to her before I left or not. I knew I could just go and say hello maybe a damn goodbye since I never knew what could happen but what would that say about me?