Nepeta Grub

"This little grub is Nepeta. She's about six weeks old, which is developmentally similar to a 2 and a half to 3 year old. She's quite a clever one, and very imaginative. I hope you can keep up." Rose winks at you and gently steps out of the room, leaving you alone with the small green grub. She doesn't seem to pay you much mind as she backs up slightly to pounce the blanket she'd just been entangled by. You stifle a laugh but it draws the young troll's eyes to you anyway.

"Oh, Hello Nepeta, I'm (F/N)."

"Hello Fur-end!" She answers.

"Don't let me stop you from playing. Are you having fun?" She nods and pounces again on the blanket, biting down on the fabric she shakes her head ferociously, presumably killing it. You aren't sure if this behavior is normal for trolls, or grubs. They only teach the basics, especially when you're meant to work with human children.

You take this moment to survey the room, it's in a bit of disarray. Plush toys and books strewn about the floor, and there are some dishes in the sink that haven't been taken care of yet. At least you know Nepeta has eaten already. Unlike a human child, you doubt Nepeta would be of much help in tidying the room with you, so you set about it yourself.

You begin tucking colorful children's books under your arm, with titles you aren't familiar with, though they seem rather wordy for children's book titles. 'In Which A Young Female Grub Gets Lost In The Woods And Is Eaten By A Were-Troll', that seems too dark for a children's novelization, but maybe it's not as bad as the cover would lead you to believe.

You continue grabbing the books with odd titles and you begin to hear a distinctive scuttle of little legs. You turn to smile at the young grub and she smiles back briefly before lowering her stance.

"Ah," you think, "I'm the prey now." She wiggles slightly before pouncing on your foot. You clutch your chest dramatically, and begin a slow descent. Nepeta giggles at you.

"Ah! Oh no! I've been attacked!" You make a big show of being wounded, as you lower yourself gently to the ground. "Oh! The agony! How will I go on?" Nepeta's giggles turn to laughter as you puff out a dying breath. She walks up to your face and kisses your forehead.

"G33z mew are silly! My kiss makes mew live again!" You crack an eye open at her, she laughs at you again. You sit up, and make another grand gesture of brushing yourself off.

"Thank you for rescuing me! I was attacked," you say, "I didn't even see where it came from, since it was so fast! Did they get you too, Nepeta?" She smiles and nods her head. "Oh how terrible! Someone is attacking children!"

"Claw-ful!" She adds, acting as though she has been personally scandalized by this.

"Did you see anything, Nepeta?" You ask, and she shakes her head 'no'. You try not to grin as she lies. "Well, are you sure that you didn't see anything?"

"I didn't s33 anything! Pawsitive!" She stamps her small front leg down for emphasis.

"Then the attacker has run away! We need to search the whole room! We can't let them get away!" Her eyes widen and she nods vigorously. You stand and brush yourself off once more, "I bet the attacker is the one who made a mess of all these toys too."

"Yes! They did!" She chirps. "I'll find them, right meow!" She sets to work, savagely attacking each and every plush toy still littering the floor. It's a massacre. With every new toy she asks, "Was it you?" Or "I know it was you!" You can't help but smile at this game she's concocted. You make note that Nepeta has left three kitten plushies alone in the corner, they must not be suspects. While she busies herself with the "investigation" you gather the rest of the books and place them back neatly in the bookcase.

When you come back to Nepeta, you can tell she's getting worn out, she's huffing her breaths while attacking the latest suspect, a blue scalemate with distinctive pink eyes.

"Any luck Nepeta?" She shakes her head and plops down to catch her breath. "No no no, we cannot REST until the attacker has been caught!" you say. Her eyes widen again, but this time without a twinkle of joy. This is more of realization. She's obviously very close to needing a nap, but the game is still afoot.

"We cannot sleep until we know who is attacking innocent people! We need to make sure we are safe!" You tell her. She whines slightly.

"I asked everyone!" She says, the soft plea in her voice almost wins you over, but...

"We must ask again then. No time to dilly dally." You clap your hands together then reach for the last victim, the blue scalemate. "Did you attack me and Nepeta? What's that? The cats did it?" You ask the silent scalemate. Nepeta gasps.

"No! Not the cats!" Nepeta is indignant over this baseless accusation.

"How do you know?" You ask, still holding onto the possible witness.

"Because cats are purrfect!" She says, she rushes to stand in front of the plush cat family. You just now notice that Nepeta's horns resemble cat ears, it suits her. Her eyes well a little with translucent olive tears, not quite spilling over the way a younger grub might allow.

"Are you sure that's the only reason they may be innocent?" You ask softly. You'll be willing to drop it after this, and pin it all on this scalemate if you need to. You'd hate to make her cry.

"I did it. I'm sorry, are we still fur-ends?" She asks, her apology is written all over her face. You lift her into your arms, discarding the scalemate in the process.

"Of course, Nepeta! Best Fur-ends Fur-ever!" She nuzzles into you, purring like a cat now. You're still not sure it's normal for a troll, you'll have to do some more research before you do another grub watch you think to yourself.

Before you know it, this playful grub is purring her way to sleep in your arms. You slowly make your way to the rocking chair in the corner of the room, hoping you don't accidentally wake her. You stroke the top of her head, careful around her horns, and she leans into your touch. The click of the door alerts you to Rose re-entering the room. She sees you with Nepeta, and smiles.

"She's a real sweetheart," you tell Rose in a whisper, "and very fun." Rose agrees.

"You think you'll want to try Grub watch again sometime soon?" She asks, you look at Nepeta in your arms and nod.

"Yeah I think I could do that."

A/N: Next Update July 2024