Chapter Seventeen

Daniel stood with his back to the Confectionery as Mary came flying down on the brass handrail. He held his breath when she got a perfect liftoff at the end. She was airborne for a second before he caught her in his arms. They walked along the illuminated makeup counters, enjoying the quiet closeness.

"Let's do this again, for real," he said, squeezing her hand. "When's your next night off?"

"Are you working tonight?" she asked.

"Yes."

She smiled. "Me too."

He reached for his cell phone. "At least give me your number," he said. "I'll bring in some takeout."

Mary slipped behind one of the counters. "Give me yours," she said, holding a pen, ready to write on her hand. Daniel smoothed his thumb over the back of her hand and gently wrote his number, then he included his initials. "There. D.G.," he said. "When you wake up, you'll know which guy to call."

She licked her thumb, then rubbed out the G and replaced it with a B. "For Danny Boy," she teased back.

He rested his elbows on the counter, memorizing the contour of her smile. "I know you're insanely curious. Now that you've discovered my big secret, am I less interesting?"

Her voice dropped to a devilish whisper. "I'm not even close to figuring you out," she said. Daniel looped her long strand of pearls over his head, encircling them both. Her lips were warm and still tasted like caramel. Mary sighed, kissing him back. Every sound he elicited from her sent his pulse throbbing.

"What time is it?" she asked, breathless.

He chuckled. "Time for you to get a watch." He reluctantly freed himself from the necklace and undid his watch. "Borrow mine," he said, fastening the strap around her thin wrist. "Now," he explained, pressing a few buttons. "I've set the alarm to remind you to call me—DB. What do you like? Chinese, pizza, Greek, Mexican?"

"I've always wanted to have McDonald's."

"You've never had McDonald's?"

"I know, it's not very sophisticated. Never mind, Chinese sounds great." She looked down at the watch. He stayed at the counter, grinning at her stupidly.

"Say goodnight, Danny Boy."

"Goodnight, Danny Boy," he said. "And remember, if you have any complaints, my skills improve with practice."

Mary combed her fingers through his hair and pulled his mouth to hers. "Repetition does improve technique," she said, starting the kiss all over again.

It seemed like Daniel had only closed his eyes for a second before the afternoon sun sliced across the room across his hotel bed. His hand reached out, patting the bedside table, looking for the watch that wasn't there. Oh, right. He smiled. He sat up and scratched his blond bedhead, trying to focus.

He started the coffeemaker and unplugged his phone from the charger. He frowned. Mary hadn't called yet, but he did have a text from Alice.

U got a job!! Going 2B in court all day. LMM

Daniel left a message at Alice's home number. When he'd decided to leave high school in the middle of his last year to travel, one condition she insisted upon was that he speak to her at least every couple of weeks. This was the first time she'd had to remind him to call.

On the subway he received stares for whistling. He got a painful shove in the back for daydreaming in line for coffee and not moving up. Walking down the sidewalk, he smiled into the bitter wind. By the time he arrived at Willard's for his shift that evening, Daniel was overcome with a desire to buy presents.