Chapter Thirty-four

He chased her through an archway into one of the more luxurious living room displays. "What do you want from me?" he asked. "You're driving me crazy."

"Me?!" she said. "You're the one who can't decide which girl he wants."

Daniel stepped closer. "That's not true. I know who I want to be with...it's just..." He stopped himself from finishing the sentence. "What do you want?"

Mary took a deep breath, then wrapped her hands behind his neck and pulled his mouth down to hers. "I want this."

Her tongue slipped into his mouth, hesitant but seeking. Daniel answered, speeding up the kiss. Elbows bumped together as their hands tugged at each other's clothing, sending buttons bouncing along the floor.

She pulled him down with her onto the leather couch. Daniel slid his hand down her side, pausing to slip his fingers under the edge of her T-shirt. She held her breath, frozen under his touch. He squeezed his eyes shut, afraid to see what was under him. Then she spoke. He relaxed—she was still human. "I love you," she whispered.

He squinted in the darkness and reached out. Instead of the hotel alarm clock, he felt a bag of chocolate-covered jujubes. Daniel turned on the bedside lamp, illuminating the newly cleaned and furnished secret room.

The longest wall was lined with bookcases. In the corner, there were two wingback chairs and a small table in between. His backpack was in a heap on the floor, beside the twin bed. He swung his legs over the edge and sat up.

A loud tapping on the door got his attention. He called out and watched as part of the wall swung back. Mary's head peeked around the opening. "Hey," she smiled, "I brought you a cappuccino."

Daniel tucked the duvet around his waist and patted the bed for her to sit beside him. "Thanks," he said, taking the steaming mug.

Mary's gaze lingered on his bare chest. "How did you sleep? Is the bed comfortable enough?"

"Yeah," he answered. "The room definitely has that Willard's touch. And you?" He took a drink, watching her over the brim of his mug.

She nodded and began to study the room, looking at everything except Daniel. He was grateful for her unexpected shyness. He stared at her hands, remembering how they'd been undressing him in his dream a minute ago.

"Since we have the store to ourselves," she said, "there are a few things I'd like to try with you."

Daniel choked on his cappuccino.

"I have a few theories," she said, ignoring his reaction. "But I need your help."

"Help to do what exactly?"

"Get dressed. I'll wait for you outside."

Daniel pulled on a pair of jeans and rolled up the sleeves of his fitted plaid shirt. Mary stood against Mr. Oliver's desk with a huge basket of chocolate treats. "Happy Easter," she said, tossing him a foiled-wrapped egg.

He grinned. "What time is it, anyway?"

"It's almost four in the afternoon."

He grabbed a few more eggs and followed her to the main foyer. Mary positioned him on the patterned marble in front of the main doors. He swallowed the last of his chocolates, and gave her a confused look. The toes of their sneakers were almost touching.

She raised her hand and placed it flat against the invisible barrier. He was standing on the white side of the tile—the side she has never been on. "Pull me," she said.

Daniel wet his lips. He entwined his fingers with hers, and then very slowly, he started to pull.

Nothing happened. It was like trying to move a huge boulder.