Chapter Forty-three

Daniel stood in front of the wall of monitors, smiling at every image, drinking up all the details. Mary and the others were still in pose. The screen for the main entrance showed the last group of clerks gathered in the foyer. He left the office whistling, shiny key in hand.

When Willard's was dimmed and locked up for the night, he took the elevator to the first floor, relishing the squeaks and groans of the antique machine. He stopped outside the entrance to Sleepwear, and squinted into the darkness. Lying in a heap at the foot of Blanche's display were the hated flannel pajamas. Daniel wondered what kind of outfit she's chosen for tonight.

"Hi," Mary said, quietly from behind.

Daniel spun around. "Wow," was all he could say.

"Clara picked out the dress," she said, her hands nervously playing with the white fabric. "Apparently this strapless Valentino number is one of Blanche's favorites."

The soft glow from the counters made her look like an angel. Daniel felt like his skin was the only thing keeping him in one place.

"It's a surprise," she explained, "we're all dressing up for her." She touched one of the dark waves that were pinned up off her face, the rest of her hair flowed down her back.

"Oh my God," he breathed. "You look so—"

"Don't say it."

"—uncomfortable."

Mary looked shocked, then started to laugh. "It's the shoes," she said, pointing at her foot.

"You're wearing stilettos!"

"Sergio Rossi, Mac," she mimicked.

He held her gaze, letting the moment last between them longer than usual. She touched her hair again. "Oscar said your speech was very impressive."

"Took me long enough to realize this is where I belong." The sudden blush on her skin made his pulse race. "Mary," he said, putting a hand over his heart. "You take my breath away."

Her expression fell. "Don't play with my feelings," she said. "You can't show up acting romantic and wonderful. It's not fair."

"Have you looked in a mirror lately?" he teased. "If anyone's not playing fair, it's you."

"You have no idea, do you?"

He heard the hurt in her voice and his smile faded.

"For years," she said, "I've listened to the clerks gossip about their boyfriends. I used to tune out, completely bored. But after we kissed, it changed everything. A whole new part of my brain began to rewire itself. And now I have these feelings."

Mary looked down and started to wring her hands. "In my entire existence nothing compares to the butterflies I feel when I look up and see you watching me. I can't stop imagining us together, all over the store. The daydreaming is out of control." She swallowed and began to talk quickly, the words tripping on her tongue. "When I think about you and Monique, I hate you, but when we're together all I want to do is kiss you! It's actually painful. You make me happy and miserable at the same time—it's incredibly frustrating."

Daniel couldn't believe she's liked him the whole time, and not as an experiment, but as a real guy, a boyfriend—a lover. He was terrified to say anything wrong that would make her run away.

She paced awkwardly in her shoes. "Ruth Ann keeps giving me Judy Blume books to read, and it helps for a bit, but it doesn't make being your friend any easier. We'll never be together and I have to accept that. You want someone real...not someone like me." She stumbled a few steps. Daniel moved forward and caught her in his arms. She let out a long sigh, and he could feel the energy leave her. She pressed her forehead against his chest. "I wish we'd never had that first kiss," she whispered.